Calculating Internal Energy Absorbed in Truck Cab After Collision

In summary, a swing bob has to hit the front of the cab fixed to chassis with some force, and after that we have to calculate the energy absorbed by the components of the components of the cab. The weight of the swing bob, the dimension of the swing bob, the distance from the geometric center of the swing bob to the point of suspension, the impact energy given to the swing bob, and the coefficient of static and dynamic friction are all factors that need to be accounted for in order to calculate the energy absorbed by the components of the cab.

Is this Question is Worth posting??

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
prasadpatrudu
How to calculate Energy absobed by the components of a Truck Cab after crash test??

Hi,

I have a question regarding the calculation of internal energy of components after collision.
In conducting the frontal impact test as per the ECE R29 regulation, a swing bob has to hit the front of the cab fixed to chassis with some force, and after that we have to calculate the energy absorbed by the components of the components of the cab. can anyone please help me out in solving this problem?? details of the above problem as follows..

weight of the swing bob = 1500 kg
dimension of the swing bob = length 2500 mm, height 800 mm, centre of gravity of swing bob should coincide with lateral axis of the CAB.
Distance from geometric centre of bob to the point of suspension = 3500 mm
impact energy given to the bob = 40 KJ
coefficient of static friction = 0.2
coefficient of dynamic friction = 0.2
as of my knowledge
Total energy = Kinetic Energy + Internal Energy(absorption energy)
as the friction energy is very small we can neglect that.
Total weight of the truck cab = 1 ton
Thank you...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Doubt you'd get anything meaningful from this.

Crash testing, or any multi-component system deforming is a pain to analyze.

Hi Chrish,

It is crash test for a Truck Cab, which is composed of multiple components, frankly speaking I'm dealing with crash simulation projects in an MNC, can tou help in this regard??

prasadpatrudu said:
Hi Chrish,

It is crash test for a Truck Cab, which is composed of multiple components, frankly speaking I'm dealing with crash simulation projects in an MNC, can tou help in this regard??

So is it just a computer simulation you are doing or a full simulation including practical tests?
I thought you meant a hand calculation when I answered before.

If you are using a computer to simulate then there are others on this forum with far more knowledge than me. They will be able to help you better than I could.

Yes, I'm doing a computer simulation, but I need hand calculations as you thought.
Please help out in this regard.

1. How is internal energy absorbed calculated in a truck cab after a collision?

The internal energy absorbed in a truck cab after a collision is calculated by taking into account the change in kinetic energy and potential energy of the truck cab before and after the collision. This can be determined by measuring the mass and velocity of the truck before and after the collision, as well as the distance the truck traveled during the collision.

2. Why is it important to calculate internal energy absorbed in a truck cab after a collision?

Calculating the internal energy absorbed in a truck cab after a collision is important because it helps us understand the severity of the collision and the amount of energy transferred during the impact. This information can be used to improve safety measures and design safer vehicles.

3. What factors can affect the amount of internal energy absorbed in a truck cab after a collision?

The amount of internal energy absorbed in a truck cab after a collision can be affected by various factors such as the speed and mass of the truck, the type of collision (e.g. head-on, rear-end), the angle of impact, and the materials used in the construction of the truck cab.

4. How does the calculation of internal energy absorbed in a truck cab after a collision help in accident investigations?

Calculating the internal energy absorbed in a truck cab after a collision can provide valuable information for accident investigations. It can help determine the cause of the accident, the severity of the impact, and identify any potential safety issues that may have contributed to the collision.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating internal energy absorbed in a truck cab after a collision?

There are some limitations to calculating the internal energy absorbed in a truck cab after a collision. The calculation does not take into account any external factors such as weather conditions or the condition of the road, which can also affect the severity of the collision. Additionally, the calculation may not accurately reflect the actual energy absorbed in the truck cab if there are structural damages or deformities after the collision.