Volume expansion problem, is my concept wrong?

In summary: Therefore, you would not get any extra kilograms of gasoline if you bought it at 0 degrees celsius rather than 20 degrees celsius from a non-temperature-compensated pump. In summary, the average coefficient of volume expansion and initial volume were used to calculate the change in volume of gasoline. The final volume and density of gasoline at 20 degrees celsius were then determined, and the initial and final volumes were multiplied by 15 and the density to find the number of kilograms of gasoline. However, since the pump is not temperature-compensated, it would dispense the same volume at both temperatures and therefore there would be no extra kilograms of gasoline when buying 15.
nemzy
here is the question:

The density of gasoline is 730 kg/m^3 at 0 degree celsius. Its average coefficient of volume expansion is 9.6e-4. If 1.00 gallon of gasoline occupies .00380 m^3, how many extra kilograms of gasoline would you get if you bought 15.0 gal of gasoline at 0 degrees celsuis rather than at 20 degrees celsius from a pump that is not temperature-compensated?

Here is what i did:

since i know the avg coefficient of volume expansion, initial volume, and change in temp, i was able to find the change in volume using the formula:

change in v= (avg. coeff. of volume)(initial volume)(change in temp)

then i found the final volume. Since i know the density of gasoline at 0 degree celsius, i found the density of gasoline at 20 degree celsius. After that, i came up with these numbers:

Final volume: .00387296 m^3
Density of gasoline at 20degree celsius: 716.248 kg

now, i multiplied the initial volume by 15, then multiplied it again by the density to find the # of kg's that the initial volume had. here is the work:

(.0038 m^3)(15)(730 kg/m^3) = answer in kg (at 0 degree celsius)

then i did the same with final volume:

(.00387296)(15)(716.248 kg/m^3) = answer in kg (at 20 degree celsius)

then i took the diff bw the two to find the extra kilograms of gasoline...however my answer is wrong...anyone know where i went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way you did it you should have gotten the same answer for the two temperatures becuase you are counting for the temperature-compensation. To not account for it, the machine would assume that it dispenses the same volume for each temperatue.

i don't think i understand what you are trying to say? sorry I've been up all night procrastinating my physics hw, and I am down to my last one and i can't seen to solve it

I believe you want to do this:

(0 degrees) = (.0038 m^3)(15)(730 kg/m^3)

(20 degrees) = (.0038 m^3)(15)(716.248 kg/m^3)

Thus the pump would not account for the change in volume due to the temperature difference

1. What is volume expansion and why is it important to understand?

Volume expansion refers to the increase in the volume of a substance due to a change in temperature. It is important to understand because it can affect the accuracy of measurements and can have practical implications in various industries such as construction and engineering.

2. How does volume expansion occur?

Volume expansion occurs due to the increase in the kinetic energy of molecules when the temperature of a substance increases. This increase in energy causes the molecules to move further apart, resulting in an increase in volume.

3. What is the formula for calculating volume expansion?

The formula for calculating volume expansion is: ΔV = V0 * γ * ΔT, where ΔV is the change in volume, V0 is the original volume, γ is the coefficient of volume expansion, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. Is my concept of volume expansion wrong if I observe a decrease in volume with an increase in temperature?

No, your concept is not necessarily wrong. The coefficient of volume expansion varies for different substances, and some substances may have a negative coefficient, resulting in a decrease in volume with an increase in temperature.

5. How does volume expansion differ from thermal expansion?

Volume expansion specifically refers to the increase in the volume of a substance, while thermal expansion is a broader term that encompasses both volume expansion and the expansion of length or area due to temperature changes. Thermal expansion can also occur in solids, while volume expansion only occurs in liquids and gases.