(Small oscillations) Finding Normal modes procedure.

In summary: To get the normal coordinates, once I have the general solution both coordinates q (linear combo of normal modes), I multiply each by the inverse of the A matrix?Yes, that's the whole matrix.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

The first part of the problem is just finding the Lagrangian for a system with 2 d.o.f. and using small angle approximations to get the Lagrangian in canonical/quadratic form, not a problem. I am given numerical values for mass, spring constants, etc. and am told to find the normal modes of oscillation and the normal coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the eigenvalues (eigenfreq, [tex]\lambda = \omega^{2}[/tex]) by diagonalizing: |V-[tex]\lambda[/tex]T| = 0. (V and T are matrices, also called M and K, they're the matrix of coefficients of the velocities and coordinates from the canonical Lagrangian respectively)

I get 2 ugly numbers for my eigenfrequencies, approximately 0.3 and 15.7.

Now I sub the first one into V-[tex]\lambda[/tex]T * (a11, a21) = 0
to solve for the eigenvector (a11, a21) which are the amplitudes of oscillation of both of my 2 d.o.f.(1 and 2) for this normal mode (1).

Question: plugging them in gives me a system of 2 equations of 2 variables. I am told that necessarily, one of the equations is a multiple of the other, but it doesn't seem to be true (using approximate values might have to do with this but I'm not sure). Is this correct?

If I believe what I am told, I pick one of the equations (the end result depends on which one I pick!) and solve for a11 as a function of a21, then use the orthonormalization condition: (a11,a21)(transposed)*T*(a11,a21) = 1 which allows me to find one of the amplitudes, which I then use to go back and solve for the other.

I am also very worried about approximating everything, at this stage of the problem I've already approximated decimal points on at least 3 occasions.

Can someone PLEASE help clarify this to me? Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track, but don't plug in numbers until the very end. For a 2x2 matrix, you can do everything analytically. If you are stuck, show some more of your calculations :)

Thanks. The problem is my eigenvalues are generally irrational numbers so in order to not drag on mistakes from finding the roots, I just approximate the eigenvalues which is what my prof does and suggests doing even for 2 d.o.f. problems.

I have a problem with the orthonormalization process, I'm never quite sure if I'm multiplying the A(transposed)TA vectors properly. Do I first calculate A(transposed)*T, giving me a column vector, which I then multiply like a scalar product with the last term A(not transposed)?

You must have a prof with a technical background :)
The order in which you do the multiplications doesn't matter. I prefer to first calculate T*a, which gives another vector and then take the scalar product with a transposed, but that's just because I find multiplying with a matrix from the left easier than from the right.

grey_earl said:
You must have a prof with a technical background :)
The order in which you do the multiplications doesn't matter. I prefer to first calculate T*a, which gives another vector and then take the scalar product with a transposed, but that's just because I find multiplying with a matrix from the left easier than from the right.

Aha so its valid both ways, I can just use the "scissor fingers" rule. :)

The prof is actually a theoretician. :P

To get the normal coordinates, once I have the general solution both coordinates q (linear combo of normal modes), I multiply each by the inverse of the A matrix? Is this the whole matrix or just the corresponding eigenvector?

That's the whole matrix. You can use your normalization equation to simplify things:
[tex]\vec{N} = A^{-1} \vec{q} = A^{\mathrm{T}} T \vec{q}[/tex] since [tex]A^{\mathrm{T}} T A = 1[/tex].

That 3rd expression you've got there... Didn't think of that. :P I'd much rather transpose and multiply 2 square matrices with a vector than invert a matrix any day! Thanks, I've learned how to do 2 things more efficiently today thanks to you. :)

What is the purpose of finding normal modes in small oscillations?

The purpose of finding normal modes in small oscillations is to determine the natural frequencies and corresponding modes of vibration of a system. This allows us to understand the behavior of the system and predict how it will respond to external forces.

What is the procedure for finding normal modes in small oscillations?

The procedure for finding normal modes in small oscillations involves setting up and solving a system of differential equations that describe the motion of the system. This is typically done using the equations of motion and boundary conditions. The resulting solutions are the normal modes of the system.

Why is it important to find the normal modes of a system?

It is important to find the normal modes of a system because they represent the fundamental modes of vibration that the system is capable of. By understanding these modes, we can predict how the system will behave under different conditions and make adjustments to improve its performance or stability.

What factors can affect the normal modes of a system?

The normal modes of a system can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the mass and stiffness of the system, external forces or constraints, and any damping present. These factors can change the natural frequencies and corresponding modes of vibration of the system.

How do normal modes relate to the concept of resonance?

Normal modes and resonance are closely related concepts. Resonance occurs when an external force is applied to a system at its natural frequency, causing the system to vibrate with a larger amplitude. These natural frequencies correspond to the normal modes of the system, and understanding them can help us avoid unwanted resonant behavior in a system.