REDOX Half Reaction and Net Ionic

In summary, the reaction involves adding 1 drop of HCl and several drops of KMnO4 to 2mL of NaHSO3, resulting in the half reactions HSO3- → HSO4- + 2e- and MnO42- + 4e- → MnO22-, which must be correctly balanced in charge and atoms. The overall reaction is 5NaHSO3 + 2KMnO4 + HCl -> 2Na2SO4 + K2SO4 + 2MnSO4 + 3H2O + NaCl, with the main part being identical to the half reactions. Chlorine is the only anion present, but there is not
djh101
Just need some clarification as to whether or not I'm doing this right. 1 drop HCl and several drops KMnO4 added to 2mL NaHSO3.

HSO3- → HSO4- + 2e-
MnO42- + 4e- → MnO22-
2HSO3-(aq) + MnO42-(aq) → 2HSO4-(aq) + MnO22-(aq)

A few questions:
-Since NaHSO3 is not an acid, the hydrogen atom would not be removed in the half reaction, correct?
-Are H+ and H2O part of the half reaction or are they only included as a step to help in creating/balancing the equation(s)?
-Should I have done something with the HCl? There were 4 H+ ions on each side of the reaction, which would cancel out and result in no reaction with the HCl.
-If there is no reaction with the HCl, why did I have to add it to the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
djh101 said:
HSO3- → HSO4- + 2e-

Not balanced.

MnO42- + 4e- → MnO22-

Where did you get MnO42- and MnO22- from?

Your questions have to wait till the reaction equation is balanced. As for now - half reactions must be correctly balanced in charge and atoms, so far they are not.

In the reaction it is stated that MnO4 is oxidized to MnO2.
Would MnO42- + 4H+ + 4e- → MnO22- + 2H2O be correct (and hydrogens and waters don't get canceled until doing the net ionic)?

djh101 said:
In the reaction it is stated that MnO4 is oxidized to MnO2.
Would MnO42- + 4H+ + 4e- → MnO22- + 2H2O be correct (and hydrogens and waters don't get canceled until doing the net ionic)?

Check charges (-2 is incorrect in both cases), and it is not oxidation, but reduction.

Wow, so very many errors I found after starting to really understand what I'm doing. I fixed it, thanks for your help.

HSO3- + H2O → SO42- + 3H+ + 2e-
MnO4- + 8H+ + 5e- → Mn2+ + 4H2O

Half reactions are OK, now balance overall. We will see what is left of your original questions.

5HSO3-(aq) + 2MnO4-(aq) + H+(aq) → 5SO42-(aq) + 2Mn2+(aq) + 3H2O(l)
5NaHSO3(aq) + 2KMnO4(aq) + HCl(aq) → 5NaSO4(aq) + + 3H2O(l)

Not sure about the complete molecular equation, although it isn't actually required. Chlorine seems to be the only anion and there's not enough of that to bond with the potassium and manganese...

Last edited:
Still some typos, but you are almost there.

Molecular reaction is a difficult one, but doable:

5NaHSO3 + 2KMnO4 + HCl -> 2Na2SO4 + K2SO4 + 2MnSO4 + 3H2O + NaCl

I admit it looks artificial. Note that the main part (5HSO3- and 2MnO4-) is identical.

Interesting. I probably would have never figured that out, and I'm glad I didn't have to (but this is only Chem 101 stuff). Thanks for your help. And I fixed the typo, I had a 2 instead of a -.

1. What is a REDOX half reaction?

A REDOX half reaction is a chemical reaction in which one reactant loses electrons (oxidation) while another reactant gains electrons (reduction). These reactions are important in understanding how electrons are transferred between species in a chemical reaction.

2. What is the purpose of balancing REDOX half reactions?

The purpose of balancing REDOX half reactions is to ensure that the number of electrons lost in the oxidation half reaction is equal to the number of electrons gained in the reduction half reaction. This is important for the overall reaction to be balanced and for the conservation of charge.

3. How do you determine the oxidizing and reducing agents in a REDOX half reaction?

The oxidizing agent is the species that causes another species to lose electrons in a REDOX half reaction. It is usually the species that is reduced. The reducing agent is the species that causes another species to gain electrons in a REDOX half reaction. It is usually the species that is oxidized.

4. What is a net ionic equation for a REDOX reaction?

A net ionic equation for a REDOX reaction is a balanced chemical equation that only includes the species that are involved in the REDOX half reactions. This means that spectator ions, which do not participate in the electron transfer, are excluded from the equation.

5. How do you balance a REDOX half reaction in acidic or basic conditions?

In acidic conditions, H+ ions are added to balance the charges and H2O is added to balance the oxygen atoms. In basic conditions, OH- ions are added to balance the charges and H2O is added to balance the oxygen atoms. Balancing REDOX half reactions in basic conditions may also require the addition of H+ ions to balance the hydrogen atoms.