Beginners Guide to Probability & Statistics: Examples & Applications

In summary: Thanks for finding it!In summary, for beginners in Probability and Statistics, we recommend books such as "Mathematical Statistics with Applications" by Wackerly, Mendenhall & Scheaffer, "A First Course in Probability" by Ross, and "Understanding Probability" by Henk Tijms. These books have a focus on applications and provide good, non-trivial examples that are relevant to everyday life. It is also recommended to check out past actuary exams for further practice.
BrunoIdeas
What book or course would you recommend to a beginner in Probability and Statistics?
That is my question. However I would like to specify my intentions.
Along my math courses I have observed (many people have) that mathematicians have a different way of thinking this common language, mathematics, so is their focus. So I would like a book/course which has applications and really good, non trivial, examples. I found this a key point, GOOD EXAMPLES, not just the case for zero which obvsiously verifies everey property or the empty set. Examples that have to do either with everyday life or with applications.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org

BrunoIdeas said:
What book or course would you recommend to a beginner in Probability and Statistics?
That is my question. However I would like to specify my intentions.
Along my math courses I have observed (many people have) that mathematicians have a different way of thinking this common language, mathematics, so is their focus. So I would like a book/course which has applications and really good, non trivial, examples. I found this a key point, GOOD EXAMPLES, not just the case for zero which obvsiously verifies everey property or the empty set. Examples that have to do either with everyday life or with applications.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Hey there BrunoIdeas and welcome to the forums.

Most of the standard introductory A level probability books do focus on applications.

My university used Mathematical Statistics with Applications and it has a lot of problems which should keep you busy.

Get some of the actuary exams of the respective professional websites: that should keep you busy and give you a few headaches.

chiro said:
My university used Mathematical Statistics with Applications and it has a lot of problems which should keep you busy.

Can you remember the author(s)? They're often a more distinctive way of identifying such books. The first page of Google results I got contained 3 of that title. But the blurb here at Amazon.com says the one by Wackerly, Mendenhall & Scheaffer is a popular choice at US universities.

For basic probability theory with lots of examples and fun problems, I really like "a first course in probability" by Ross. Your college library likely has it. If you want to buy it, get a used copy of an old edition for cheap. I learned from the third edition which I thought was quite excellent - am not familiar with other editions by I suspect they are similar. Does not contain statistics, but you need to know probability before you can do statistics, so it is a good place to start.

good luck,

jason

I really enjoy "understanding probability" by Henk Tijms. The book is literally filled with cool, nontrivial examples :approve:

Rasalhague said:
Can you remember the author(s)? They're often a more distinctive way of identifying such books. The first page of Google results I got contained 3 of that title. But the blurb here at Amazon.com says the one by Wackerly, Mendenhall & Scheaffer is a popular choice at US universities.

That's the one.

1. What is probability and how is it different from statistics?

Probability is the measure of how likely an event is to occur. It is based on mathematical principles and is used to quantify uncertainty. Statistics, on the other hand, is the practice of collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data to make informed decisions. While probability deals with predicting the likelihood of an event, statistics deals with analyzing data to draw conclusions.

2. What are some real-world examples of probability and statistics?

Probability and statistics can be seen in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, the likelihood of winning the lottery, the chance of getting a certain disease, or the probability of a coin flip landing on heads are all examples of probability. Statistics can be seen in surveys, market research, medical studies, and sports analysis, among others.

3. How are probability and statistics used in decision making?

Probability and statistics play a crucial role in decision making. For instance, businesses use market research and statistical analysis to determine the potential success of a new product. In medicine, probability is used to assess the effectiveness of a treatment, while statistics help in identifying risk factors for diseases. In general, both disciplines help in making informed decisions by providing a quantifiable understanding of uncertain situations.

4. What are some common misconceptions about probability and statistics?

One common misconception is that probability and statistics are the same thing. As mentioned earlier, probability deals with predicting the likelihood of an event, while statistics deals with analyzing data. Another misconception is that probability and statistics are only relevant in mathematics and science fields, when in reality, they can be applied in various industries such as business, economics, and social sciences.

5. How can beginners start learning about probability and statistics?

There are many resources available for beginners to learn about probability and statistics. Online courses, textbooks, and tutorials are great places to start. It is also helpful to practice with real-world examples and datasets. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or joining a study group can also aid in understanding these concepts.