(Statics)Hammer and nail force and tension

In summary, a block is placed under the head of a claw hammer to aid in removing a nail. The tension in the nail is 844N and the force exerted by the hammer at point A is around 44kN. The direction of the force exerted by the hammer on the block at point A is -66 degrees, as this is the angle of the pull in the negative direction.
Hoppingmad

Homework Statement

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1116/hammery.jpg
A block is placed under the head of the claw hammer to aid in removing the nail. Assuming that the hammer will not slip at point A...

1) What is the tension in the nail rounded to the nearest Newton
2) The magnitude of the force exerted by the hammer at A rounded to the nearest Newton
3) The direction of the force exterted by the hammer on the block at A rounded to the nearest degree.

Homework Equations

The three equilibrium equations
Sum of x forces = 0
Sum of y forces = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure the angle is irrelevant in 1 - It's simply finding the moments around A
ΣMA = -200*0.211 + T*(0.05) = 0
which got me an answer of 844N

for part 2) trying to draw a free body diagram (including the downward force of the nail) but I'm not sure if I'm calculating anything quite correctly

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1264/hammer2.jpg

ΣFx= (200*cos 24)*(0.211) + something = 0
ΣFy = -844*0.05 + (200*sin24) ? = 0

maybe? but probably not - I'm stabbing numbers in the dark. I know the answer should be around 44kN
part 3) isn't the angle just the angle of the pull in the negative direction? (so -66 - I could be wrong, getting help in part 2 will help part 3 I'm sure.)

Any help appreciated :shy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) is good. For 2), you should be summing forces in both directions, but you seem to be trying to sum moments in some cases.. The x and y components of all forces, including the unknown force components at A, must add to zero. For c)., the angle is correct, but you need to clarify the direction, and explain why.

1. What is the relationship between the force applied to a hammer and the tension in a nail?

The force applied to a hammer is directly related to the tension in a nail. As the hammer strikes the nail, it exerts a force on the nail, causing it to compress and bend. This tension in the nail is what holds it in place.

2. Can the force applied to a hammer affect the strength of a nail?

Yes, the force applied to a hammer can affect the strength of a nail. If too much force is applied, it can cause the nail to bend or break. It is important to use the appropriate amount of force when hammering to ensure the nail is strong enough to hold the weight or load it is intended for.

3. How does the angle of the hammer affect the force and tension in a nail?

The angle of the hammer can affect the force and tension in a nail. When the hammer strikes the nail at an angle, it may not apply the maximum force to the nail, resulting in less tension. It is important to strike the nail at a perpendicular angle to ensure the maximum force is applied.

4. What is the difference between the force applied to a hammer and the tension in a nail?

The force applied to a hammer is the amount of energy or strength used to strike the nail. The tension in a nail is the force that is transferred to the nail, causing it to hold or support a load. In other words, the force applied to the hammer is the cause, while the tension in the nail is the effect.

5. How does the material of the hammer and nail affect the force and tension?

The material of the hammer and nail can affect the force and tension in a few ways. A heavier hammer can apply more force to the nail, resulting in greater tension. Using a hammer and nail made of strong materials, such as steel, can also increase the tension and ensure the nail does not bend or break under the applied force.