Number Theory Help: Homework Equation on Prime Generator

In summary: Zpx.so now we've established existence for EVERY d that divides p-1. and one of those divisors...is "p-1" itself.so there exists an element of order p-1, i.e. a generator, in Zpx.In summary, By using the fact that the order of any element in \mathbb{Z}_{p}^{\times} must divide p-1, we can show that there exists at least \phi(d) many elements of order d, for each d|p-1. Since the sum of all these \phi(d) must equal the
Yep, we had to use the fact that [itex]a+p\in\mathbb{Z}_{p^{2}}^{\times}[/itex] is a generator, hence showing that it is cyclic. My original question was the starting point to this proof.

I'm still confused on how exactly we showed that [itex]\gcd(k,p)=1[/itex].

Also, thank you so much for your help otherwise!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kindayr said:
Yep, we had to use the fact that [itex]a+p\in\mathbb{Z}_{p^{2}}^{\times}[/itex] is a generator, hence showing that it is cyclic. My original question was the starting point to this proof.

I'm still confused on how exactly we showed that [itex]\gcd(k,p)=1[/itex].

Also, thank you so much for your help otherwise!

If gcd(k,p) is not 1 then p divides k. So kp is divisible by p^2. You should fill in the rest.

Dick said:
If gcd(k,p) is not 1 then p divides k. So kp is divisible by p^2. You should fill in the rest.

Then [itex]a^{p-1}\equiv 1 \mod (p^{2})[/itex]

Why is this a problem?

Kindayr said:
Then [itex]a^{p-1}\equiv 1 \mod (p^{2})[/itex]

Why is this a problem?

If that's true then cp or kp must be divisible by p^2. Deveno dug up an example where that's true. You don't see a problem with that?

Last edited:
I'm still confused as to where I'm supposed to go with all of this.

Let [itex]p[/itex] be an odd prime. For each [itex]d|p-1[/itex], let [itex]f(d)[/itex] be the amount of elements of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p}^{\times}[/itex] such that those elements have order [itex]d[/itex]. Clearly [tex]\sum_{d|p-1}f(d)=p-1.[/tex] Fix [itex]a
\in\mathbb{Z}_{p}^{\times}[/itex] such that [itex]ord(a)=d[/itex], for fixed [itex]d|p-1[/itex]. Then [itex]G=\{1,a,a^{2},\dots,a^{d-1}\}[/itex] is a cyclic group of order [itex]d[/itex]. Note [itex]ord(a^{r})=d[/itex] iff [itex]\gcd (r,d)=1[/itex]. Hence there are up to [itex]\varphi(d)[/itex] many elements in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p}^{\times}[/itex] such that their order is [itex]d[/itex]. Note that [tex]\sum_{d|p-1}\varphi(d)=p-1.[/tex] So we have [tex](\star)\sum_{d|p-1}f(d)=p-1=\sum_{d|p-1}\varphi(d).[/tex]

Since either [itex]f(d)=0[/itex] or [itex]f(d)=\varphi(d)[/itex], it follows that [itex]f(d)\le \varphi(d)[/itex]. Hence, from [itex](\star)[/itex] we have that [itex]f(d)=\varphi(d)[/itex] for each [itex]d[/itex]. Since [itex]\varphi(n)>0[/itex] for any [itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex], it follows that [itex]\varphi (p-1)>0[/itex]. Hence, because [itex]p-1|p-1[/itex], we have that there exists at least one element of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p}^{\times}[/itex] such that it is a generator of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p}^{\times}[/itex].

Choose such a generator [itex]a\in\mathbb{Z}_{p}^{\times}[/itex]. By Fermat's Little Theorem, we have that [itex]a^{p-1}\equiv 1 \mod p[/itex]. Hence there exists [itex]k\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] such that [itex]a^{p-1}=1+kp[/itex]. Since [itex]p[/itex] odd prime, it follows that [itex]p-1[/itex] is even and hence there exists [itex]m\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] such that [itex]p-1=2m[/itex]. So we have [tex]kp=a^{p-1}-1=a^{2m}-1=(a^{m})^{2}-1=(a^{m}-1)(a^{m}+1).[/tex]

Since [itex]p[/itex] odd prime, it follows that either [itex]p|(a^{m}+1)[/itex] or [itex]p|(a^{m}-1)[/itex]. Suppose [itex]p|(a^{m}-1)[/itex], then [itex]a^{m}\equiv 1 \mod p[/itex]. But [itex]m<p-1[/itex] and [itex]ord(a)=p-1[/itex], a contradiction. Hence [itex]p\not{|}(a^{m}-1)[/itex], and thus [itex]p|(a^{m}+1)[/itex]. Suppose [itex]\gcd(k,p)=p[/itex], then [itex]p^{2}|(a^{m}+1)[/itex]. Hence [itex]a^{m}\equiv -1 \mod p^{2}[/itex]. Therefore [itex](a^{m})^{2}\equiv 1 \mod p^{2}[/itex] and hence [itex]a^{p-1} \equiv 1 \mod p^{2}[/itex].This is where I get stuck to continue.

OOOOH wait! If we choose [itex]a+p[/itex], then it is also a generator of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p}^{\times}[/itex] but its also a generator of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^{2}}^{\times}[/itex]. Hence [itex](a+p)^{p-1}\not{\equiv} 1 \mod p^{2}[/itex]. Thus [itex](a+p)^{p-1}=1+kp[/itex] and [itex]p^{2}\not{|}(a^{m}+1)[/itex], hence [itex]\gcd (k,p)=1[/itex], as required. WOOT

Last edited:
Again, thanks all! This helped so much!