Introductory Stoichiometry Question

In summary, a solution of KOH is prepared by dissolving 2.00g of KOH in water to a final volume of 250mL of solution. To determine the molarity of the KOH solution, the moles of KOH were calculated by dividing the mass of KOH by its molar mass. The moles of H2SO4 were also calculated using the given volume and concentration. To find the volume of the KOH solution that contains 0.0356 moles of KOH, the given moles were set equal to the moles of KOH in the solution and the volume was solved for using the equation C=n/v.
TankNation
A solution of KOH is prepared by dissolving 2.00g of KOH in water to a final volume of 250mL of solution. What volume of this solution will neutralize 20.0mL of 0.115 mol/L sulfuric acid?

Homework Equations

C=n/v
C1V1=C2V2
n=m/M

Attempt at solution

First I balanced the equation:
2KOH+H2SO4->k2S04+2H20

Than I figured out the moles of H2S04:
v=0.02L
C=0.115mol/L
n=c*V=2.3x10^-3 mols.

Than I found the mols of KOH
m=2g
M=56.1g/mol
n=m/M.
n=0.0356 mols

The problem is after this step I get confused as to what to do with the 250mL. Can someone give me an explanation please on how and why? (if you help me solve it)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is molarity of the KOH solution? What volume of this solution contains 0.0356 moles of KOH?

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the study of quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

2. Why is stoichiometry important in chemistry?

Stoichiometry allows us to predict the amount of products that will be formed from a given amount of reactants, and vice versa. It also helps us understand the underlying principles of chemical reactions and allows us to optimize reactions for desired outcomes.

3. How do you calculate stoichiometric relationships?

Stoichiometric relationships can be calculated using balanced chemical equations, where the coefficients represent the molar ratios between reactants and products. These ratios can then be used to convert between different units (e.g. moles to grams) and determine the quantities of substances involved in a reaction.

4. What is the difference between theoretical yield and actual yield?

Theoretical yield is the maximum amount of product that can be obtained from a given amount of reactant, assuming 100% conversion and no losses during the reaction. Actual yield, on the other hand, is the amount of product obtained in a real-world experiment and is often less than the theoretical yield due to various factors such as incomplete reactions or side reactions.

5. How does stoichiometry relate to the Law of Conservation of Mass?

The Law of Conservation of Mass states that mass is neither created nor destroyed in a chemical reaction. Stoichiometry is based on this principle, as the total mass of reactants must equal the total mass of products in a chemical reaction. This allows us to use stoichiometric calculations to accurately predict and balance chemical equations.