How can I build a simple and cost-effective wind power generator?

In summary: Newton1Law,Yes that really helped, but I don't think it needs to be that complicated. The instruction was: "Your presentation should include a poster board and model displaying some feature of how the energy technology works (e.g. a simple model of a generator to demonstrate the generation of electricity). I think the model only needs to demonstrate that electricity can actually be created by winds.
an_mui
Hi everyone,

I need to build a wind power generator for a grade 11 physics project, but i dont' want to spend too much money on it. Can anyone tell me a cost-effective way of making a wind power generator that works? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
an mui,
Try using a simple alternator from any car. You could get one from a junk yard. Take a fan blade from an old floor fan and mount it to a rotating shaft on a bearing assembly. On this shaft mount a pulley. Mount the alternator below the fan shaft and connect it to the fan shaft using a v-belt. You'll need a small 12 volt latern battery to start the field on the alternator. When the wind blows and rotates the fan and alternator assembly, you will be able to draw off 10 to 14 volts DC from the alternator and an amperage supply depending on the wind speed and the amount of load you attach to the output.

You may be able to directly drive the alternator by mounting the fan blades on to the front of the alterbnator where the existing pulley assembly is.

What does you physic's teacher want the generator to be able to do? May be I can suggest alternatives. Is there a minimum power level it must be able to supply? If it can be really small, you could buy a small DC motor from Radio Shack and re-wire it to act as a generator. Let me know.

Hope this helps,

Newton1Law

Newton1Law,

Yes that really helped, but I don't think it needs to be that complicated. The instruction was: "Your presentation should include a poster board and model displaying some feature of how the energy technology works (e.g. a simple model of a generator to demonstrate the generation of electricity). I think the model only needs to demonstrate that electricity can actually be created by winds.

Thank you for your help,

An_mui

Simple Wind Generator

An_Mui,

The the model yuo may need can downloaded from, http://www.windenergy.com/SUPPORT/downloads.html

Look at ma403_d.pdf

Hope this helps,

Newton1Law

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a wind power generator?

A wind power generator, also known as a wind turbine, is a device that converts wind energy into electrical energy. It typically consists of a tower, a rotor with a number of blades, and a generator.

2. How does a wind power generator work?

A wind power generator works by capturing the kinetic energy of the wind and converting it into mechanical energy through the rotation of the blades. The mechanical energy is then converted into electrical energy by the generator, which can be used to power homes, businesses, and other devices.

3. What are the benefits of using wind power generators?

There are several benefits to using wind power generators. They are a clean and renewable source of energy, meaning they do not produce greenhouse gas emissions or contribute to air pollution. They also have a low operational cost and can provide a stable source of energy in areas with consistent wind patterns.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a wind power generator?

When choosing a wind power generator, it is important to consider factors such as the average wind speed in the area, the size and type of turbine, and the cost and maintenance requirements. It is also important to consider the location and potential impact on the surrounding environment and wildlife.

5. What are some common challenges with wind power generators?

Some common challenges with wind power generators include fluctuating wind speeds, noise and visual impacts, and the potential for bird and bat collisions. It is also important to have proper planning and maintenance in place to ensure the longevity and efficiency of the turbines.