Obscure symptoms of sexual arousal

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, arousal symptoms include increased heart and respiration rates, engorgement of sexual organs with blood, and swelling of the lips.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Another thread I was reading prompted me to think about symptoms of sexual arousal. I have heard many times that the pupils of the eye dilate during sexual arousal, but I have also noticed that the lips (on my face) feel kind of a swelling, tingling sensation. Is this common, and what is the cause? Is it peculiar to women?

Biology news on Phys.org
Interesting. In my experience, the symptoms are usually obvious.

MIH, I'm sure Chronos is willing to observe very carefully and report to you his findings (though, I suppose if he's a gentleman, he won't be willing to report back to the rest of us). :biggrin:

Common arousal symptoms would include increased heart and respiration rates, and engorgement of sexual organs with blood. Lips are included there, which would account for the increased fullness and redness (that's what lipstick is meant to mimic) and that tingly feeling.

Other species have interesting adaptations of other appendages that become engorged during sexual arousal. I think the one I've found most amusing is the nose of the male proboscis monkey. Though, I've never seen one that didn't seem to be in a permanent state of arousal, so I've never been able to verify for myself that the nose isn't always red like that. You'd think the constantly erect penis would be an obvious enough signal of arousal.

Hehe Moonbear: "I've never seen one that didn't seem to be in a permanent state of arousal..."
Funny stuff!

Swelling of the lips would provide extra pleasure right? I mean with increased blood flow, all sensations in the area would be enhanced. I don't think it's particular to women; yet I've not had the experience to disprove it. But if it WAS particular to women, how would that have evolved only in one of the human sexes?

K.

Thanks, Moonbear. I knew there was something to it and I suspected it was an increased flow of blood to the lips. I seem to remember Desmond Morris mentioning something in The Naked Ape similar to what you said about lipstick. I need to go look this up.

Those proboscis monkeys are certainly odd looking things. Do their noses turn red or become larger or both?

Chronos, I think symptoms of male sexual arousal are much easier to spot. I can usually tell if a man is aroused - because he puts down the TV remote control. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
I can usually tell if a man is aroused - because he puts down the TV remote control. :biggrin:

...after switching to an adult channel to get "in touch" with the latest "trend"... :tongue2:

Daniel.

P.S.HOORAY FOR THE BLOOD !WE WANT BLOOD! :tongue2:

1. What are some examples of obscure symptoms of sexual arousal?

Some examples of obscure symptoms of sexual arousal may include increased heart rate, flushed skin, heavy breathing, genital swelling, and increased sensitivity to touch.

2. Can these symptoms be mistaken for other medical conditions?

Yes, these symptoms can sometimes be mistaken for other medical conditions such as anxiety, allergies, or even heart problems. It is important to consult a medical professional for a proper diagnosis.

3. Are there any psychological symptoms of sexual arousal?

Yes, psychological symptoms of sexual arousal may include feelings of pleasure, excitement, or desire. Some individuals may also experience changes in mood or thoughts during sexual arousal.

4. Do these symptoms vary between individuals?

Yes, the symptoms of sexual arousal can vary between individuals. Some people may experience more physical symptoms, while others may have more psychological symptoms. It is also possible for some individuals to experience both types of symptoms.

5. Are these symptoms always present during sexual arousal?

No, these symptoms are not always present during sexual arousal. Some individuals may experience only a few symptoms, while others may experience all of them. Additionally, the intensity of these symptoms can also vary between individuals and situations.