Genetics Basics: A Beginner's Guide to Genetics

In summary, genetics is the study of how characteristics are passed down through genes from parents to children. Genes are the basic units of heredity, made up of DNA, and determine an organism's traits. They are inherited through sexual reproduction from both parents. Dominant genes are always expressed, while recessive genes are only expressed with two copies. Genetics can impact health by playing a role in the development of certain diseases or medical conditions, either through inheriting a specific gene mutation or a combination of genetic and environmental factors.
Chucker
Hi everyone,
I'm new to genetics, but would like to start studying it, what would be a good starting book :confused:

Biology news on Phys.org
Try this link, it's great for a beginner to DNA and Genetics

Also one of my favorite books is Genome by Matt Ridley, it's easy to understand.

Well, I'm also a new one to genetics. I'm at Genetic linkage and crossover... I think I can understand the stuff.. but I can't find exercises to apply... What;s your idea?
Thanks

1. What is genetics?

Genetics is the branch of science that studies how characteristics are passed down from parents to children through genes.

2. What are genes?

Genes are the basic units of heredity that contain the instructions for building and maintaining an organism's cells and tissues. They are made up of DNA and determine an organism's traits.

3. How are genes inherited?

Genes are inherited from parents through the process of sexual reproduction. Each parent contributes one copy of each gene, and the combination of these genes determines an individual's unique genetic makeup.

4. What is the difference between dominant and recessive genes?

Dominant genes are those that are always expressed, even if an individual only has one copy of the gene. Recessive genes are only expressed if an individual has two copies of the gene, one from each parent.

5. How does genetics impact health?

Genetics can play a role in the development of certain diseases or medical conditions. Some conditions are caused by inheriting a specific gene mutation, while others may be influenced by a combination of genetic and environmental factors.