Summing i*r^(i-1) from i=1 to i=n

• Thread starter mathvision
  • Start date
In summary, this equation states that the sum of i r^{i-1} from i=1 to i=n is r^{i-1} - (1-r)i r^{i-1}.
mathvision
I wanted to post this in the homework forum, but there's only pre-calc for math.

Question: Show that i*r^i-(i-1)*r^(i-1) = r^(i-1)-(1-r)i*r^i-1. Use this result to find the sum of i*r^(i-1) from i=1 to i=n.

I've done the first part of this question, but need some help with the second. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This identity isn't valid for i=1, check it.

mathvision said:
I wanted to post this in the homework forum, but there's only pre-calc for math.

Question: Show that i*r^i-(i-1)*r^(i-1) = r^(i-1)-(1-r)i*r^i-1. Use this result to find the sum of i*r^(i-1) from i=1 to i=n.

I've done the first part of this question, but need some help with the second. Thanks!
Do you mean "i*r^i-(i-1)*r^(i-1) = r^(i-1)-(1-r)i*r^(i-1)"? Otherwise, as MathematicalPhysicist said, it is not true for i= 1.

In any case, I would not use that. Are you required to?

I would note that [itex]\sum_{i=1}^n r^i[/itex] is a geometric sum and that [itex]\sum_{i= 1}^n i r^{i-1}[/itex] is its derivative with respect to r.

HallsofIvy said:
Do you mean "i*r^i-(i-1)*r^(i-1) = r^(i-1)-(1-r)i*r^(i-1)"? Otherwise, as MathematicalPhysicist said, it is not true for i= 1.

In any case, I would not use that. Are you required to?

I would note that [itex]\sum_{i=1}^n r^i[/itex] is a geometric sum and that [itex]\sum_{i= 1}^n i r^{i-1}[/itex] is its derivative with respect to r.

Yes it was a typo. And yes I'm required to use that result! :uhh:

mathvision said:

Question: Show that
[tex]i r^i - (i-1)r^{i-1} = r^{i-1} - (1-r)i r^{i-1}[/tex]

Use this result to find the sum of [itex]i r^{i-1}[/itex] from i=1 to i=n.

Hi mathvision, I've edited that for you.

If this isn't pre-calc then just differentiating the geometric series as Halls suggests is the best way to do it.

If this is pre-calc and you need to do it without using calculus then you can do the following. Sum both sides of your above expression and notice that the RHS is the sum of (r-1) times the sum you are trying to find, plus a simple geometric series. Also, the left hand side completely "telescopes", leaving just the first and last terms. Basically then you can just rearrange this to get an expression for the part you are interested in.

1. What is the formula for "Summing i*r^(i-1) from i=1 to i=n"?

The formula is: Σ(i*r^(i-1)), for i=1 to n, where Σ represents the summation operator and i and r are variables.

2. What is the significance of the variables i and r in this formula?

The variable i represents the index or position of each term in the summation, while r is the common ratio in a geometric series.

3. How can this formula be applied in real-world scenarios?

This formula can be used in various fields such as finance, physics, and engineering to calculate the sum of a series of values that follow a geometric pattern. For example, it can be used to calculate compound interest or to model the growth of a population over time.

4. What is the difference between a finite and infinite sum in this formula?

A finite sum has a specific number of terms, while an infinite sum has an unlimited number of terms. In the given formula, n represents the number of terms in a finite sum, while in an infinite sum, n approaches infinity.

5. Are there any other similar formulas to calculate sums of series?

Yes, there are several other formulas such as arithmetic series, geometric series, and telescoping series. Each formula has its own specific conditions and variables, but they all serve the purpose of calculating the summation of a series of numbers.