Magnetic moment due to applied external magnetic field

N,p and q into the equation.In summary, To determine the necessary external magnetic field for 51% of metal ions in CuSO(_{4}) to have aligned magnetic moments, one must first calculate the ratio of atoms in the desired state to the total number of atoms. This ratio, denoted as p, is then used in conjunction with the gyromagnetic ratio, temperature, and other relevant constants to determine the necessary external magnetic field, B_{0}. This calculation is based on the statistical distribution of spin states and the resulting magnetisation of the material.
Kentaxel

Homework Statement

How large externally applied magnetic filed ([itex]B_{0}[/itex]) is necessary in otder for 51% of the metal ions in CuSO([itex]_{4}[/itex]) to have their magnetic moments oriented in the same direction as the applied field when the salt is kep at room temperature?

Homework Equations

[itex]B=\mu_{0}(H+M)[/itex]

[itex]\chi=\frac{N}{V}\frac{(p\mu_{B})^{2}\mu_{0}}{3k_{B}T}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

rearanging the relation

As i understand it i want

[itex]M=0,51H[/itex]

then, using

[itex]\chi B_{0}=\mu_{0}M[/itex]

i find that

[itex]\chi=0,51[/itex]

But [itex]\chi[/itex] is, as i understand it, independent on applied magnetic field [itex]B_{0}[/itex] so this reasoning can't be right. However i fail to see what I'm missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe i should say this is Introductory Solid state physics. I'd modify the title but I'm not sure i can?

I think i figured this out, so i'll post the results here in case someone would find it useful.

To calculate the amount of atoms with a spin state corresponding to the applied magnetic field one would calculate the amounting magnetisation due to the number of atoms existing in that desired state.

So that the ratio of atoms per volume existing in spin up [itex]n_{1}[/itex] to the total amount of atoms per volume N becomes:

[itex]p=\frac{n_{1}}{N}[/itex]

Where in the above stated problem one would have p=0.51, and the remaining atoms existing in a spin down state is simply

[itex]q=1-p[/itex]

The the resulting magnetisation would be

[itex]M=μN(p-q)[/itex]

Combining this with the statistical calculation of the number of states one gets

[itex]μN(p-q)=μNtanh(\frac{μB_{0}}{k_{B}T})\approx μN(\frac{μB_{0}}{k_{B}T})[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow B_{0}=\frac{K_{B}T}{μ}(p-q)[/itex]

And after determining μ (with the gyromagnetic ratio etc.) one would obtain the desired result

1. What is a magnetic moment due to an applied external magnetic field?

A magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic field produced by a magnet or a current-carrying wire. When an external magnetic field is applied to a magnetic material, it causes its atomic, molecular, or subatomic particles to align in a particular direction, resulting in a net magnetic moment.

2. How is the magnetic moment affected by the strength of the applied magnetic field?

The magnetic moment is directly proportional to the strength of the applied magnetic field. This means that as the strength of the external magnetic field increases, the magnetic moment of the material also increases.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the magnetic moment?

The magnitude of the magnetic moment is affected by the strength of the external magnetic field, the type of material, and the orientation of the material with respect to the external magnetic field. Different materials have different magnetic properties, which can affect their magnetic moment.

4. Can the magnetic moment be reversed?

Yes, the magnetic moment can be reversed by changing the direction of the external magnetic field. This can happen in materials that have a low coercivity, meaning they are easily magnetized and demagnetized.

5. What is the practical application of understanding the magnetic moment due to applied external magnetic field?

Understanding the magnetic moment is crucial in many technological applications, such as in the development of magnetic storage devices, electric motors, and generators. It is also essential in studying the behavior of materials in magnetic fields and in the field of medical imaging, such as in MRI machines.