Can Electrons in an Electrically Charged Gas Generate Voltage?

• Thread starter Crazymechanic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charged Gas
In summary: As every variable current flow, it generates a variable magnetic field, indeed. So what?The wire's magnetic field interacts with the gas's field, which in turn induces a current.
Crazymechanic
Hello, could you please share some insights on the matters I'm about to ask.

The examples will be without any numbers of real physical dimensions more like theoretical concepts.

In a fluorescent lamp or gas discharge lamp the electrons flow from cathode to cathode(anode ??) as I believe they change places 50/60 times a second because the ac current does so either, but that's not of highest importance here , so the electrons flow exciting the gas(mercury vapor)) atoms which give a UV photon emission on the phosphor coating on the walls which in turn radiate em radiation in the visible spectrum at a certain wavelength.
The questions is while does electrons are traveling in the lamp they not only excite the mercury atoms but create and emf right? Like every moving charge does.So if I would wrap windings of copper around the long tube fluorescent bulb would I see some voltage induced?
Or in this case most if the electron energy is wasted as visible light rather than other forms of em frequencies?

The second question would be , imagine a tube like (possibly made of glass) enclosure , then low pressure gas in it and electrodes at both ends of the tube. A dc current source applied to the electrodes making one cathode the other anode depending on the polarity.
Now assume the voltage is high enough for the gas to conduct, when this happens again the tube has some windings wound in the middle of it would there be induced voltage/current in those windings because of the electron flow perpendicular to them?

Physics news on Phys.org
So if I would wrap windings of copper around the long tube fluorescent bulb would I see some voltage induced?
As every variable current flow, it generates a variable magnetic field, indeed. So what?
Or in this case most if the electron energy is wasted as visible light rather than other forms of em frequencies?
There are significant non-radiative losses, but a good fraction of the energy gets converted to visible light.

Ok, then if the fluorescent gas discharge lamp would be powered from dc source , not taking into account the need for limited current and so just the fact a dc power source now the one end become the cathode the other the anode , electrons flow would that electron flow through the tube induce emf in those windings around the tube or in this case it wouldn't ?
I know that dc has a uniform static magnetic field but I always wondered what happens when that dc is passed along a gas or some other conducting environment ? I guess the same as when it is passed along a wire but still someones approval of my thinking and little explanation would be great.

I know that dc has a uniform static magnetic field but I always wondered what happens when that dc is passed along a gas or some other conducting environment ?
That does not matter, you get the same results as with a metallic conductor.
In this case: No induced voltage.

Crazymechanic said:
Hello, could you please share some insights on the matters I'm about to ask.

The examples will be without any numbers of real physical dimensions more like theoretical concepts.

In a fluorescent lamp or gas discharge lamp the electrons flow from cathode to cathode(anode ??) as I believe they change places 50/60 times a second because the ac current does so either, but that's not of highest importance here , so the electrons flow exciting the gas(mercury vapor)) atoms which give a UV photon emission on the phosphor coating on the walls which in turn radiate em radiation in the visible spectrum at a certain wavelength.
The questions is while does electrons are traveling in the lamp they not only excite the mercury atoms but create and emf right? Like every moving charge does.So if I would wrap windings of copper around the long tube fluorescent bulb would I see some voltage induced?

The second question would be , imagine a tube like (possibly made of glass) enclosure , then low pressure gas in it and electrodes at both ends of the tube. A dc current source applied to the electrodes making one cathode the other anode depending on the polarity.
Now assume the voltage is high enough for the gas to conduct, when this happens again the tube has some windings wound in the middle of it would there be induced voltage/current in those windings because of the electron flow perpendicular to them?
Winding a copper wire around the tube will indeed induce a current the wire that is useful enough to charge phone batteries ect. I was in Nigeria a few years ago and saw this regularly done!

1. How do electrons in an electrically charged gas generate voltage?

When an electrically charged gas, also known as a plasma, flows through a conductor, the electrons within the gas collide with the atoms or molecules of the conductor. This collision transfers energy from the electrons to the conductor, creating a flow of electrons, or electric current. This flow of electrons is what we know as voltage.

2. Can electrons in a gas generate voltage on their own?

No, electrons in a gas cannot generate voltage on their own. Voltage is created when there is a flow of electrons, and this flow requires a conductor for the electrons to move through. The gas itself does not generate voltage, but rather serves as a medium for the electrons to flow through and transfer their energy to the conductor.

3. What factors affect the voltage generated by electrons in a gas?

The voltage generated by electrons in a gas can be affected by various factors such as the temperature and pressure of the gas, the type of gas being used, and the material and shape of the conductor. These factors can impact the collisions between the electrons and the conductor, thus affecting the flow of electrons and the resulting voltage.

4. How is the voltage generated by electrons in a gas measured?

The voltage generated by electrons in a gas is typically measured using a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit. In the case of a gas, the voltmeter would be connected to the conductor to measure the voltage being generated by the flow of electrons from the gas.

5. What are some practical applications of electrons generating voltage in a gas?

One practical application of this phenomenon is in plasma displays, which use an electrically charged gas to generate voltage and produce images on a screen. Another application is in neon signs, where the voltage generated by electrons in a gas produces the characteristic glow. This concept is also used in some types of lighting, such as fluorescent and neon lights.