Calculating Max Deflection of Simply Supported J Section Beam

In summary, if you have a simply supported J Section beam, and you are trying to calculate the maximum deflection, you should use Iy.
phiska
If i have a simply supported J Section beam, when I'm calculating the max deflection, what value of I do i use?

I have already had to calculate Ix, Iy and Ixy.

I would imagine that as deflection occurs along the y-axis that i would use Iy.

Or do i use Imin? I have already calculated this too.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated as I'm completely stuck!

Engineering news on Phys.org
phiska said:
If i have a simply supported J Section beam, when I'm calculating the max deflection, what value of I do i use?

I have already had to calculate Ix, Iy and Ixy.

I would imagine that as deflection occurs along the y-axis that i would use Iy.

Or do i use Imin? I have already calculated this too.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated as I'm completely stuck!

I don't know what axis reference are you using, but in this problem you have to employ the moment of inertia correspondent to the perpendicular axis to the plane of deflection. Think of it, each beam section is going to turn infinitesimally around this axis when deflecting.

Clausius2 said:
I don't know what axis reference are you using, but in this problem you have to employ the moment of inertia correspondent to the perpendicular axis to the plane of deflection. Think of it, each beam section is going to turn infinitesimally around this axis when deflecting.

It is not so straightforward for J-beams. The bending deflection of J-beams is coupled with the torsional deflection, in all but the most special loading (via shear centre) case. You will need to pick up a structural mechanics book, I'm afraid, because it is not easy to explain how to do the sums. It should be under "asymmetric beam theory" or some variation thereof.

Speed said:
It is not so straightforward for J-beams. The bending deflection of J-beams is coupled with the torsional deflection, in all but the most special loading (via shear centre) case. You will need to pick up a structural mechanics book, I'm afraid, because it is not easy to explain how to do the sums. It should be under "asymmetric beam theory" or some variation thereof.

Here's my logics:

1) I am assuming a "J" beam is a beam which has a section with a shape of a "J". Right?. Anyway he doesn't say nothing about the thickness of the J.

2)If the characteristic length of the section is small compared with the length of the beam, it doesn't matter how the section is deformed, although we know that after the movement the "J" doesn't remain being a "J".

3) In absence of torsional forces and under the above assumptions it can be neglected any additional deformation but that the correspondent to the neutral beam line.

I know there is an special theory for beams or bars with small section thickness, but anyway don't believe torsional effects are present when you are applying a vertical load. It breaks the symmetry.

If some other member wants to disagree with me, feel free. I don't remember this stuff very well.

Clausius2 said:
Here's my logics:
3) In absence of torsional forces and under the above assumptions it can be neglected any additional deformation but that the correspondent to the neutral beam line.

I know there is an special theory for beams or bars with small section thickness, but anyway don't believe torsional effects are present when you are applying a vertical load. It breaks the symmetry.

No, the whole point is that bending and torsion are coupled here. Even if you do not apply a torsional load to the beam, because of the coupling if you bend it, it will twist. Likewise if you twist it, it will bend.

Only in very special cases are bending and torsion not coupled. Often engineers use these special cases (such as I-beams, square tube) because they are easy to analyse.

Speed said:
No, the whole point is that bending and torsion are coupled here. Even if you do not apply a torsional load to the beam, because of the coupling if you bend it, it will twist. Likewise if you twist it, it will bend.

Only in very special cases are bending and torsion not coupled. Often engineers use these special cases (such as I-beams, square tube) because they are easy to analyse.

Maybe you're right. I promise you structure eng. is not my best. Your words sound fine. Anyway, I think the coupling will depend somehow in the relation between both inertia moments [tex] I_{torsion}[/tex] and [tex] I_{deflection}[/tex]

If [tex] I_{t}/I_{d}>>1[/tex] then torsional effects would be negligible, don't they?. I am only asking.

Thanks everyone for your help!

What is a simply supported J section beam?

A simply supported J section beam is a type of structural member that has a cross section resembling the letter J. It is supported at both ends and can carry loads perpendicular to its longitudinal axis.

How do you calculate the maximum deflection of a simply supported J section beam?

The maximum deflection of a simply supported J section beam can be calculated using the formula: δ = (5wL^4)/(384EI), where δ is the maximum deflection, w is the load per unit length, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross section.

What factors affect the maximum deflection of a simply supported J section beam?

The maximum deflection of a simply supported J section beam is affected by the load applied, the length of the beam, the material properties of the beam, and the cross sectional shape and dimensions of the beam.

What are the units for maximum deflection of a simply supported J section beam?

The units for maximum deflection are typically in millimeters (mm) or inches (in), depending on the units used for the length of the beam. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent in order to get an accurate result.

How can you improve the maximum deflection of a simply supported J section beam?

The maximum deflection of a simply supported J section beam can be improved by increasing the strength of the beam material, decreasing the length of the beam, or increasing the cross sectional dimensions of the beam. Additionally, adding supports along the length of the beam can also help to reduce deflection.