What is the Characteristic Impedance of a System?

In summary, the characteristic impedance of a system refers to the frequency independent impedance of a port, which is typically represented by a 50 Ω value in RF circuits. This means that the ports of the system are intended to interface with 50 Ω cables with minimal reflections. However, the actual impedances of the ports may vary, and the characteristic impedance is a measure of the quality of the system. This is different from the characteristic impedance of a transmission line, which is a fundamental broadband characteristic of the line's construction. The apparent input impedance of a resistive attenuator is also dependent on the impedance of its load, and this is taken into account when calculating S11.
thegreenlaser
I'm just starting to read up on RF circuits, and I'm a little confused about what the characteristic impedance of a system is (not the characteristic impedance of a transmission line, I understand that pretty well). For example, in Pozar's book he talks about a 3 dB attenuator with a 50 Ω characteristic impedance (represented by a T configuration of resistors with a port on either side). Does that just mean that all the transmission lines connected to the ports have a 50 Ω characteristic impedance? Is that 50 Ω value determined by the lumped elements in between the ports in any way, or am I just deciding what all the connecting transmission lines will be? Basically, what is required for me to say "my system has a 50 Ω characteristic impedance?"

Hopefully what I'm asking is clear... I feel like this should be a fairly simple thing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Every EM signal has two components. Firstly, an electric field or voltage, and secondly, a magnetic field or current. The ratio of E/M or V/I is the impedance.

Characteristic impedance is a frequency independent (broadband) character of a port.

If the port has a frequency dependent impedance in the band of interest then it does not have a “characteristic” impedance.

thegreenlaser said:
I'm just starting to read up on RF circuits, and I'm a little confused about what the characteristic impedance of a system is (not the characteristic impedance of a transmission line, I understand that pretty well). For example, in Pozar's book he talks about a 3 dB attenuator with a 50 Ω characteristic impedance (represented by a T configuration of resistors with a port on either side). Does that just mean that all the transmission lines connected to the ports have a 50 Ω characteristic impedance? Is that 50 Ω value determined by the lumped elements in between the ports in any way, or am I just deciding what all the connecting transmission lines will be? Basically, what is required for me to say "my system has a 50 Ω characteristic impedance?"

Hopefully what I'm asking is clear... I feel like this should be a fairly simple thing.

This simply means that the attenuator has nominal port impedances of 50 ohms (as opposed to, say, 75 ohms). In other words it is intended to interface with 50 ohm cables with nominally no reflections at the attenuator ports. Of course the actual impedances of the ports will vary from 50 ohms (as will the cable itself), and is a metric of the quality of the attenuator (and cable).

Baluncore said:
Every EM signal has two components. Firstly, an electric field or voltage, and secondly, a magnetic field or current. The ratio of E/M or V/I is the impedance.

Characteristic impedance is a frequency independent (broadband) character of a port.

If the port has a frequency dependent impedance in the band of interest then it does not have a “characteristic” impedance.

E/H is field impedance in units of ohms.

I can't say I have heard of anything except transmission line having a characteristic impedance. Devices such as attenuators, amplifiers and etc. certainly have an input impedance but I can't say I have heard it referred to as a characteristic impedance.
-
At least in my mind, characteristic impedance of a transmission line is the impedance one would have if they hooked a DC source to the end of a transmission line that had no copper loss and extended infinitely in one direction. The voltage of the source divided by the current drawn from the source would of course be the characteristic impedance.

Averagesupernova said:
I can't say I have heard of anything except transmission line having a characteristic impedance. Devices such as attenuators, amplifiers and etc. certainly have an input impedance but I can't say I have heard it referred to as a characteristic impedance.
-
At least in my mind, characteristic impedance of a transmission line is the impedance one would have if they hooked a DC source to the end of a transmission line that had no copper loss and extended infinitely in one direction. The voltage of the source divided by the current drawn from the source would of course be the characteristic impedance.

Agreed.

Port impedance seems like the most likely interpretation of the Pozar reference (assuming it was not misquoted).

I don't get very bent out of shape over wording until it causes confusion with something else.

“Characteristic impedance” is a fundamental broadband “characteristic” of a transmission line's construction. It is independent of the far-end termination, the line length and the signal frequency.

Of all a transmission line's “characteristics”, the most critical parameter is it's characteristic impedance. A Smith Chart or Volpert Diagram is centred on the characteristic impedance of the transmission line being modeled. All other points on the diagram then represent apparent “input impedances”.

The apparent “input impedance” of a resistive attenuator is also dependent on the impedance of it's load. Not only does it attenuate the signal, but it also attenuates any terminal impedance mismatch towards the attenuator's “characteristic impedance”. This is quite a useful way to isolate reactive modules.

When designing RF systems, about half the components, or half the design time, is needed to match the various modules. The standard characteristic impedance of 50 ohm for functional modules greatly facilitates prototyping and experimental interconnections.

There is a very good argument for the use of the term “characteristic” to differentiate between a component's designed impedance parameter and the apparent input impedance when part of a reactive system.

Hmm... I guess this isn't just a clear-cut terminology issue. Maybe I'll give a little more detail on the example in Pozar. His description of the circuit is that it's "A matched 3 dB attenuator with a 50 Ω characteristic impedance." He says that to calculate S11, we terminate the other port with a "matched load" (for which he uses what he calls the characteristic impedance, Z0 = 50 Ω). Then we find the input impedance at port 1 and calculate the reflection coefficient: S11 = (Zin - Z0)/(Zin + Z0).

He does pick his resistor values so that S11 works out to be zero, but I'm not understanding why, in principle, you couldn't just aribtrarily decide that the characteristic impedance of the attenuator is 75 Ω, and then do the calculation in exactly the same way to get a non-zero S11.

If Pozar is designing a 3dB attenuator for use in a 50 ohm system, he must design it so the input looks like 50 ohm when it is terminated in 50 ohm.

If a 3dB, 75 ohm attenuator was used in a 50 ohm system, then additional 150 ohm resistors would need to be connected between both terminals and ground to make it look like a 50 ohm attenuator. The attenuation of the resulting network would no longer be 3dB.

1. What is the characteristic impedance of a system?

The characteristic impedance of a system is the ratio of voltage to current in a traveling wave that is propagating through the system. It is a constant value that represents the inherent resistance and reactance of the system.

2. How is the characteristic impedance of a system determined?

The characteristic impedance of a system is determined by the physical properties of the system, such as the material, dimensions, and configuration of the conductors, as well as the frequency of the signal passing through the system.

3. What is the significance of the characteristic impedance of a system?

The characteristic impedance of a system is important because it determines the efficiency of energy transfer within the system. A mismatch between the characteristic impedance of the system and the source or load can result in signal reflections and loss of energy.

4. How does the characteristic impedance of a system affect signal transmission?

The characteristic impedance of a system has a direct impact on signal transmission. When the source and load have a matching characteristic impedance, the signal can be transmitted efficiently without any reflections. However, a mismatch can lead to signal distortion and loss.

5. Can the characteristic impedance of a system be altered?

The characteristic impedance of a system is determined by its physical properties and cannot be altered without changing the system itself. However, impedance matching techniques can be used to minimize reflections and improve the efficiency of energy transfer within the system.