Are There Any Exceptions to the Rule for Domain Exclusions?

In summary, the denominator of a function cannot equal 0 and both the numerator and denominator cannot be 0 simultaneously. In the given problems, the excluded values for x are 0 and -8. However, it is important to consider all values of x that would make the function undefined in order to accurately determine the domain.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jbiWoIFy45kCgV.png

Homework Equations

The denominator of a function cannot equal 0. Both the numerator and denominator also cannot = 0 simultaneously.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first problem, the denominator and the numerator are 0 when x =0. Hence, I excluded it from the domain. Similarly, for the second problem, the denominator is 0 when x = -8. It is also excluded from the domain. Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jbiWoIFy45kCgV.png

Homework Equations

The denominator of a function cannot equal 0. Both the numerator and denominator also cannot = 0 simultaneously.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first problem, the denominator and the numerator are 0 when x =0. Hence, I excluded it from the domain. Similarly, for the second problem, the denominator is 0 when x = -8. It is also excluded from the domain. Am I missing something?

Yes, a little. You can't just look at the final formula. Take the first one. g(x) is undefined at x=(-1). If g(-1) is undefined then f(g(-1)) isn't defined either.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is interval notation?

Interval notation is a way of expressing a set of numbers on a number line, using parentheses or brackets to indicate whether the endpoints are included or excluded. For example, the interval [2, 5) would include all numbers greater than or equal to 2 but less than 5.

How do you solve interval notation problems?

To solve an interval notation problem, you need to first identify the endpoints of the interval. Then, determine whether the endpoints are included or excluded by looking at whether parentheses or brackets are used. Finally, write the interval using the appropriate notation.

What is the difference between open and closed intervals?

In interval notation, an open interval uses parentheses to indicate that the endpoints are not included in the set, while a closed interval uses brackets to indicate that the endpoints are included. For example, the interval (0, 10) would include all numbers greater than 0 and less than 10, while the interval [0, 10] would include 0 and 10 in the set.

What is the purpose of using interval notation?

Interval notation is a useful way to express a set of numbers, as it is concise and easy to interpret. It also allows for a clear distinction between open and closed intervals, which can be important in certain mathematical or scientific contexts.

Can interval notation be used for infinite sets?

Yes, interval notation can be used for infinite sets. For example, the interval (-∞, 5) would represent all numbers less than 5, while the interval (2, ∞) would represent all numbers greater than 2. This notation is commonly used in calculus and other advanced mathematical fields.