Help with Logistic growth problem

• Thread starter amazingAZN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Growth
In summary, the speaker is looking for help with a logistic growth problem and has provided a set of values for time, population, and change in population. They have been asked to predict the population at a given time and are looking for direction on how to approach the problem, possibly using curve fitting and the solution to the logistic growth differential equation.
amazingAZN
Hi all, I've got this logistic growth problem that I'm unsure of on how to start. I've read though the textbook but it's just not clicking for me; I missed a day of class and don't have a chance to go to office hours, so any help would be much appreciated.

I've been given a set of values: time, population, and change in population.

The values are as follows, with each value correlation to each time value of course:

T=0.0, P=2.0, dP/dt=0.11
T=37.71, P=14.0, dP/dt=0.62
T=45.05, P=19.0, dP/dt=0.74
T=57.45, P=29.0, dP/dt=0.84

I've been asked to predict population, P at T=10.

A point in the right direction would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably you can do this looking at and playing with the numbers but I think it is not a good idea to do it without drawing three graphs.

The differential equation, you will find, has dP/dt as a quadratic function of P. Since you have data values for P and dP/dt, you can use standard curve fitting (least squares) to find the coefficients (http://www.personal.psu.edu/jhm/f90/lectures/lsq2.html). You can then plug those into the solution of the differential equation to find P as a function of t.

1. What is logistic growth?

Logistic growth is a type of population growth where the population initially grows rapidly, then levels off and reaches a stable equilibrium. It is represented by an S-shaped curve on a graph.

2. How is logistic growth different from exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of population growth where the population increases at a constant rate. In contrast, logistic growth takes into account limiting factors such as resources and competition, which causes the population to eventually level off.

3. What is the equation for logistic growth?

The equation for logistic growth is dN/dt = rN[(K - N)/K], where dN/dt is the rate of change in population size, r is the intrinsic growth rate, N is the current population size, and K is the carrying capacity or maximum sustainable population size.

4. How is the carrying capacity determined in logistic growth?

The carrying capacity is determined by the availability of resources and other limiting factors in the environment. It is the maximum number of individuals that can be sustained in a given area with the available resources.

5. Can the logistic growth model be applied to any population?

While the logistic growth model is commonly used to describe population growth, it is not suitable for all populations. It assumes that the environment and resources are constant, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.