Help with light, wavelength, and photons

In summary, the person is seeking help with a physics question regarding the energy and speed of red photons emitted from a Helium-Neon LASER, as well as the calculation of their wavelength. They also need help understanding the speeds of these photons compared to X-ray photons. They have shown some progress with part (b) but need assistance with parts (a) and (c).
jewilki1
I need help with parts of this question.
6. The red light emitted from a Helium-Neon LASER has an energy of 3.15 x 10^-19 J.
a. At what speed do "red photons travel? I need help with this one.

B. calculate the wavelength of these photons.
I got 6.31424 x 10^-7m. Is this correct.

c. comment on the speeds of the photons from the LASER versus the X-ray photons. I need help with this one.

I am trying to study for a quiz and really need help.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you show us what you have tried so far (work) and where you are getting stuck, we can point you in a successful direction.

I don't know how to do a and c, but I got the answer to b. IS b correct?
and can you help with a and c. Thanks

We can't tell you if (b) is correct, unless you show how you got that number.

As for (a) and (c), you have to show some effort. What are your thoughts ?

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that our eyes are able to detect. It is made up of particles called photons that travel in waves.

2. What is the relationship between light and wavelength?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a light wave. The wavelength of light determines its color and energy. Shorter wavelengths are associated with higher energy light, such as ultraviolet and gamma rays, while longer wavelengths are associated with lower energy light, such as radio waves.

3. How do photons play a role in light?

Photons are the individual particles that make up light. They have no mass and travel at the speed of light. When photons interact with matter, they can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted, which determines how we perceive light.

4. Can light behave as both a wave and a particle?

Yes, light exhibits characteristics of both a wave and a particle. This is known as wave-particle duality and is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. Light can behave like a wave when it travels through space, but it also behaves like a particle when it interacts with matter.

5. How does the speed of light compare to other forms of energy?

The speed of light is the fastest speed possible in the universe. It travels at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is equivalent to 670,616,629 miles per hour. This makes light faster than any other form of energy, including sound and electricity.