What Happens When a Sliding Block Collides with Another on a Flat Surface?

• Thread starter lando45
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, two blocks with masses of 2.80 kg and 6.80 kg collide after the smaller block slides down a 30.0° incline of 3.60 m. The collision is assumed to be elastic and friction is ignored. To determine the speeds of the two blocks after the collision, energy conservation can be used. The first step is to find the speed of the smaller block.
lando45
Hey,

I got this question, and I don't really know how to solve it, I'm stuck:

A block of mass m = 2.80 kg slides down a 30.0° incline which is 3.60 m high. At the bottom, it strikes a block of mass M = 6.80 kg which is at rest on a horizontal surface, Fig. 7-41. (Assume a smooth transition at the bottom of the incline, an elastic collision, and ignore friction.)

7_41.gif

Determine the speeds of the two blocks after the collision.

I worked out the length traveled down the slope using basic trigonometry and got a value of 7.2m, but now I am completely lost and don't know what the next step is...any help?

Thanks a lot,

Rory

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding the speed of the small block using energy conservation and go from there. :)

Hi Rory,

Thanks for reaching out for help with your question. It seems like you have made a good start by calculating the distance traveled down the slope.

To determine the speeds of the two blocks after the collision, we will need to use the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. These principles state that in a closed system, the total momentum and total kinetic energy before and after a collision must be equal.

In this case, the closed system is the two blocks (mass m and M) before and after the collision. We can set up the following equations:

Conservation of momentum: mvi + MVi = mvf + MVf

Conservation of kinetic energy: 1/2mvi^2 + 1/2MVi^2 = 1/2mvf^2 + 1/2MVf^2

Where vi and vf are the initial and final velocities of the blocks, respectively.

Since we know the masses (m and M) and the initial velocity of the block on the incline (vi), we can solve for the final velocities (vf and Vf) using these equations.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps. Good luck!

Best,

What is a collision between two objects?

A collision between two objects occurs when they come into contact with each other and their motion is affected by the interaction.

How is the speed of the objects involved in a collision calculated?

The speed of the objects involved in a collision can be calculated using the formula: speed = distance/time. This means that the distance traveled by the objects divided by the time it takes for the collision to occur will give the speed.

What factors determine the outcome of a collision between two objects?

The outcome of a collision between two objects is determined by factors such as the mass, velocity, and direction of the objects, as well as the type of material they are made of and the angle of impact.

Is energy conserved in a collision between two objects?

Yes, energy is always conserved in a collision between two objects. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

How do elastic and inelastic collisions differ?

In an elastic collision, both objects bounce off each other and their total kinetic energy remains the same. In an inelastic collision, the objects stick together and some of their kinetic energy is transformed into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.