Nonuniform circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving nonuniform circular motion, specifically a pail of water being rotated in a vertical circle. The question is what is the minimum speed of the pail at the top of the circle to prevent any water from spilling out. The conversation also mentions drawing a freebody diagram and coming up with an equation involving the force exerted by the pail on the water.
lunarskull
nonuniform circular motion

a pail of water is rotated in a vertical circle of radius 1m. what is the minimum speed of the pail at the top of the circle if no water is to spill out?

hmmm this problem is difficult for me to do because they gave only 1 variable. i drew a freebody diagram (i doubt if i did it right) and came up with the equation t+mg=m(v^2/r) am i doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, assuming that "t" is the force exerted by the pail on the water. As long as the pail exerts some non-zero force, the water remains in the pail; when that force goes to zero, the water begins to spill out.

I would approach this problem by first defining what nonuniform circular motion is. Nonuniform circular motion is when an object moves in a circular path, but its speed or velocity is not constant. In this case, the pail of water is rotating in a vertical circle, which means its speed will vary as it moves through different points in the circle.

To find the minimum speed of the pail at the top of the circle, we can use the equation for centripetal acceleration, a = v^2/r. In this case, the acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle, which is the top of the pail. We can also use the equation for centripetal force, F = ma, where m is the mass of the water in the pail and a is the centripetal acceleration.

Since we want to find the minimum speed at which the water will not spill out, we can set the centripetal force equal to the weight of the water, which is given by mg. This gives us the equation mg = ma, or g = a. We can then substitute this into the equation for centripetal acceleration to get g = v^2/r. Solving for v, we get v = √(gr).

Therefore, the minimum speed of the pail at the top of the circle is √(gr), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and r is the radius of the circle (1m in this case). This means that the pail must be moving at a speed of at least 3.13 m/s at the top of the circle in order for the water to not spill out.

In terms of the free body diagram and the equation t+mg=m(v^2/r), it is important to note that the tension in the string (t) will vary throughout the motion, as the speed of the pail changes. At the top of the circle, the tension will be equal to the weight of the water (mg) in order to maintain circular motion. Therefore, the equation can be rewritten as mg+mg=m(v^2/r), which simplifies to g = v^2/r, giving us the same result as before.

I hope this explanation helps and clarifies any confusion. It is important to carefully consider the variables and equations involved in nonuniform circular motion problems to accurately solve them.

1. What is nonuniform circular motion?

Nonuniform circular motion is the motion of an object in a circular path at varying speeds. This means that the object is accelerating, since its velocity is changing, even though it is moving in a circular path.

2. How is nonuniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object moves at a constant speed, meaning its velocity remains the same throughout the motion. In nonuniform circular motion, the object's speed and velocity are constantly changing, making it an accelerated motion.

3. What causes nonuniform circular motion?

Nonuniform circular motion is caused by a force acting on an object, such as gravity or tension in a string. This force constantly changes the direction of the object's velocity, resulting in nonuniform circular motion.

4. What is the difference between tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration in nonuniform circular motion?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is in the direction of the object's velocity, while centripetal acceleration is the component of acceleration that is perpendicular to the object's velocity, pointing towards the center of the circular path.

5. How is nonuniform circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Nonuniform circular motion is governed by Newton's laws of motion. Newton's first law states that an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by a force. In nonuniform circular motion, the force acting on the object constantly changes its velocity, causing it to accelerate. This acceleration is described by Newton's second law, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.