Prove that if a is prime, then b is prime

• Thread starter 83956
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, if a and b are associates and a is prime, then b is also prime since one of its factors must be a unit, as per the definition of a prime number. This shows that the two elements are closely related and share the property of being prime.
Prove that if "a" is prime, then "b" is prime

Homework Statement

Suppose that "a" and "b" are associates. Prove that if "a" is prime, then "b" is prime.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By the definition of an associate a=ub where u is a unit.

Physics news on Phys.org

What did you try already?? If you show us where you're stuck, then we'll know where to help!

This is my understanding.

a=ub where u is a unit. By the definition of associates a divides b, and b divides a. So if a is a prime as in the problem statement, then the only divisors of a are 1 and a. Thus, b is either 1 or a. But 1 is a unit so b is a prime equal to a.

But I am being told my reasoning is not right. I understand that the units vary in different rings, but don't quite understand how to factor that into this problem.

83956 said:
This is my understanding.

a=ub where u is a unit. By the definition of associates a divides b, and b divides a. So if a is a prime as in the problem statement, then the only divisors of a are 1 and a. Thus, b is either 1 or a. But 1 is a unit so b is a prime equal to a.

But I am being told my reasoning is not right. I understand that the units vary in different rings, but don't quite understand how to factor that into this problem.

What is your definition of a prime number?? I very much doubt that you have defined a prime number as 'the only divisors are 1 and a' in arbitrary rings. Could you look up the definition of a prime number for me?

The units in the ring are also divisors of a prime, right?

83956 said:
The units in the ring are also divisors of a prime, right?

Yes, the units divide everything. But can you look in your book to find the exact definition of a prime element in a ring?

"An integer that is not a unit is a prime if it can't be written as a product unless one factor is a unit."

83956 said:
"An integer that is not a unit is a prime if it can't be written as a product unless one factor is a unit."

Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for (although many people call this irreducible instead of prime).

So let a and b be associates, and let a be prime. We must prove b to be prime. So assume that b is written as a product:

[tex]b=cd[/tex]

can you deduce that either c or d must be a unit?

Since b is nonzero, c or d must be a unit since they are not zero divisors

83956 said:
Since b is nonzero, c or d must be a unit since they are not zero divisors

OK, that actually makes no sense at all :frown: What do zero-divisors have to do with this problem??

You'll have to do something with your a. You have right now that

[tex]b=dc[/tex]

How can you introduce a into this equation?

well since a=ub we can plug in b=a/u so a/u=cd, a=ucd.

I'm sorry - I am taking a class in which I teach myself completely, and needless to say it is very frustrating and stressful. This problem should be so easy, and yet it has me stumped ten times over.

83956 said:
well since a=ub we can plug in b=a/u so a/u=cd, a=ucd.

I'm sorry - I am taking a class in which I teach myself completely, and needless to say it is very frustrating and stressful. This problem should be so easy, and yet it has me stumped ten times over.

OK, this is good:

[tex]a=ucd[/tex]

or, when introducing brackets:

[tex]a=(uc)d[/tex]

but a is prime! What does the primality of a imply?

either uc or d is a unit?

83956 said:
either uc or d is a unit?

Yes, and thus...

b is prime because one of its factors is a unit

1. What is the definition of a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself.

2. How do you prove that if a is prime, then b is prime?

The proof involves assuming that a is prime and then showing that b can only be divisible by 1 and itself, making it a prime number as well.

3. Can you provide an example of this proof?

One example of this proof is by using the contrapositive statement. If we assume that b is not prime, then it must have at least one factor other than 1 and itself. This factor must also be a factor of a, which contradicts our initial assumption that a is prime. Therefore, if a is prime, b must also be prime.

4. Are there any exceptions to this statement?

Yes, there are exceptions. If a is not a prime number, then the statement "if a is prime, then b is prime" is considered vacuously true. This means that the statement is true because the initial assumption is false.

5. How is this proof useful in mathematics?

This proof is useful in mathematics because it allows us to make conclusions about prime numbers and their relationships with each other. It also helps us to understand the properties of prime numbers and how they behave in different mathematical operations.