Tensor software for General Relativity

In summary, Cadabra has great potential for GR, but the current vision of Cadabra only deals with abstract tensor analysis, not with writing out of explicit components. So, when I try to check my final tensor expressions of solutions of black hole or any other kinds of spacetime problem, I have to rewrite the expressions on GRTensorII. Is there any other software or pactage that can do all the things? I'm not particularly familiar with Mathematica and Maxima, they can both achieve abstract tensor analysis and write out of explicit components?
Herb1989
I have used GRTensorII and Cadabra for some time. And I think Cadabra have great potential for GR. But the current vision of Cadabra only deals with abstract tensor analysis, not with writing out of explicit components. So ,(eq :)when I try to check my final tensor expressions of solutions of black hole or any other kinds of spacetime problem ,I have to rewrite the expressions on GRTensorII.
Is there any other software or pactage that can do all the things? I'm not particularly familiar with Mathematica and Maxima, they can both achieve abstract tensor analysis and write out of explicit components?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maxima has a useful package called ctensor which handles tensor components. It has routines to calculate the GR tensors from a metric or frame field. I've used it a lot written many scripts to do covariant differentiation and other useful things.

What version of Maple do you use. I just had the latest version (17) installed on my computers a couple days ago. I think this version has more facility for doing GR calculations without having to use GRTensorII.

George Jones said:
What version of Maple do you use. I just had the latest version (17) installed on my computers a couple days ago. I think this version has more facility for doing GR calculations without having to use GRTensorII.

Maple 7 in winXP and Maple 13 in Ubuntu 13.04 ~ Actually, I have downloaded the Maple 17 x64 Linux ,but the license doesn't work.

Mentz114 said:
Maxima has a useful package called ctensor which handles tensor components. It has routines to calculate the GR tensors from a metric or frame field. I've used it a lot written many scripts to do covariant differentiation and other useful things.

I'm going to study Maxima (ctensor) , I feel it is very similar to GRTensor ,I do not know if it could do the abstract tensor analysis.

Herb1989 said:
I'm going to study Maxima (ctensor) , I feel it is very similar to GRTensor ,I do not know if it could do the abstract tensor analysis.
There is a package called 'itensor' which can do some abstract computations.

Mentz114 said:
There is a package called 'itensor' which can do some abstract computations.

Thanks a lot !~ I decided to give it a try.

Herb1989 said:
Thanks a lot !~ I decided to give it a try.
The best way to use Maxima is with batch files. Here's one to start you off. Copy this into a text file and (if you're using Windows) give it a .mac extension. Use the 'Load Batch File' menu option to run it.
Code:
/********************************
Einstein-DeSitter ( FRW with k=0)
Spherical polar
***************************/
kill(all);
load(ctensor);
ratflag:true;
ratricci:true;
ratriemann:true;
ct_coords:[t,r,theta,phi];

depends([a],[t])$

lg:matrix([-1,0,0,0], [0,a^2,0,0], [0,0,a^2*r^2,0], [0,0,0,a^2*r^2*sin(theta)^2]);
ug:ratsimp(invert(lg));
ricci(true);
lriemann(false);
uriemann(false);
leinstein(false);
einlow:zeromatrix(4,4)$
for _a thru 4 do  for _b thru 4 do ( einlow[_a,_b]:factor(ratsimp(lein[_a,_b])) ); 
einlow;

/** Ricci scalar **/
scurvature();
ratsimp(%);
/** K-invariant ***/
rinvariant();
ratsimp(%);
/** V = \partial_t ***/
V:zeromatrix(1,4)$
V[1,1]:1$
V;
/* gravitoElectric- tensor : contract lriem with V */
lriemann(false);
T:zeromatrix(4,4)$
for a thru 4 do ( for b thru 4 do ( for m thru 4 do ( for n thru 4 do 
( T[a,b]:T[a,b] + lriem[a,m,b,n]*V[1,m]*V[1,n] ))));
T:ratsimp(T);

George Jones said:

It looks like you are going to use other packages, but here is what Maple documentation says,

http://www.maplesoft.com/products/maple/new_features/physics.aspx#Tensors

I haven't had a chance to investigate this.

My employer has a site license.

Sorry, Physics Forums cannot support illegal activities.

Hi everyone!
How can I make a Riemann tensor for a metric in a locally inertial frame?

What I mean is that, maple makes Riemann tensor by Riemann(ginv, D2, Cf1), and it uses the four sentences consisting Christoffel symbols and their derivatives in order to make the Riemann tensor.
However, I want to make a Riemann tensor in which just the derivatives of the Christoffel symbols are considered.
Can anyone help me please?

I think what you probably want is to use an anholonomic basis. I use GRTensor, but try looking at FrameData with DGSetup and look for remarks about anholonomic basis in the documentation.

Likes 1 person
Dear friends,
Now that I am using GRTensor, I get t a very strange error- at least for me!
I used to read an .mpl file, consisting some functions, definitions, ... but now maple cannot read my file.
I mean when I say: read "/home/.../ myfile.mpl", I get to the error:
Error, unable to read `/home/.../ myfile.mpl`.
could you please help me with this? I really need to read the file! :(

Hi again!
any suggestions for my last problem?
since I installed the grii package, "read " command does not work any more :(

shadi_s10 said:
Hi again!
any suggestions for my last problem?
since I installed the grii package, "read " command does not work any more :(

Sorry friends!
I found the problem!
I have changed one of the directory's name! :rofl:

Hey, I'm sorry to revive a dead topic, but does anyone have experience with SageManifolds (http://sagemanifolds.obspm.fr/)? I would especially appreciate a comparison of SageManifolds to Mathematica. I am considering whether I should use free software or simply buy Mathematica.

The reason I would like Sage is because it seems fairly easy to use.

Ps. As a side note, does anyone have any opinion on the usage of Sage itself?

1. What is Tensor software for General Relativity?

Tensor software for General Relativity is a type of computer program used to perform calculations and simulations related to the theory of General Relativity. It utilizes mathematical tools such as tensors, which are multi-dimensional arrays, to represent the physical properties of space and time.

2. What are the benefits of using Tensor software for General Relativity?

Tensor software allows for more efficient and accurate calculations compared to traditional paper-and-pencil methods. It also allows for complex simulations that would be impossible to perform manually, thus aiding in the understanding of the behavior of space-time.

3. Who uses Tensor software for General Relativity?

Tensor software is primarily used by physicists and researchers studying General Relativity, as well as engineers working on projects that require an understanding of space-time. It can also be used by students learning about the theory in a more hands-on manner.

4. How does Tensor software differ from other software used in physics?

Tensor software is specifically designed to handle the mathematical concepts and equations used in General Relativity, such as tensors and Einstein's field equations. It also includes features and functions tailored to the needs of researchers working in this field.

5. Are there any limitations to using Tensor software for General Relativity?

Like any computer program, Tensor software has its limitations. It is only as accurate as the input data and equations used, and it may not be able to handle extremely complex or nonlinear scenarios. Additionally, it requires a certain level of understanding of General Relativity to use effectively.