Velocity of light and it's frame of reference.

In summary: Suppose I'm driving my car and I see a car in my mirror going the other direction. I hit my brakes and the car in my mirror slams on its brakes. According to the laws of motion that I was previously using, my car should have kept going and I would have hit the car in front of me. In fact, according to the laws of motion that relativity theory tells me I should be using, my car should have been frozen in place. The time of the event has slowed down for me relative to the time of the event for the person in the car in front of me.The third...counterintuitive...feature
MedianPlebeian
If light has a maximum speed of c, what frame of reference is that speed determined from?

For example, if you were to turn on a light bulb moving at a constant rate and measured when the light in every direction got to one light year away from it's source, wouldn't some of it reach that distance more quickly than the light moving in the opposite direction and wouldn't it be appropriately redshifted? If so, couldn't you use that data to determine a universal frame of reference?

It's an obvious question so I'm sure I'm wrong about something. I'd be obliged if someone could explain it to me. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed c is the same no matter what frame you use. This is assumption #1 in special relativity. If I'm sitting here with a light bulb, and you run past me very fast, and I turn the light bulb on, we both measure the light from this light bulb to be traveling at c.

Matterwave said:
The speed c is the same no matter what frame you use. This is assumption #1 in special relativity. If I'm sitting here with a light bulb, and you run past me very fast, and I turn the light bulb on, we both measure the light from this light bulb to be traveling at c.

Okay, but if that's the case, how does light end up in the same place for both of us? If I'm running past you and light is still traveling away from both of us at c, shouldn't it end up in different places?

The time is flowing differently for you and the length for you is contracted. This causes the light to move exactly as needed.

haael said:
The time is flowing differently for you and the length for you is contracted. This causes the light to move exactly as needed.

Okay, but what about the light that's moving in the other direction? If time is moving more slowly for me, doesn't that mean that the light moving in the opposite direction also has less time to move and ends up at a different point in space than for the "stationary" observer?

MedianPlebeian said:
Okay, but what about the light that's moving in the other direction? If time is moving more slowly for me, doesn't that mean that the light moving in the opposite direction also has less time to move and ends up at a different point in space than for the "stationary" observer?

At some point you'll have to try drawing a space-time diagram or playing with the formulas that relate one observers notion of position in space and time to another's; these are called the "lorentz transforms" and google will find many references.

But before you do that, you should google for "einstein simultaneity train" to find Einstein's classic thought experiment on the relativity of simultaneity; that explains how light signals traveling in opposite directions can be reconciled.

Nugatory said:
At some point you'll have to try drawing a space-time diagram or playing with the formulas that relate one observers notion of position in space and time to another's; these are called the "lorentz transforms" and google will find many references.

But before you do that, you should google for "einstein simultaneity train" to find Einstein's classic thought experiment on the relativity of simultaneity; that explains how light signals traveling in opposite directions can be reconciled.

Will do. Cheers!

MedianPlebeian said:
As Nugatory mentioned, you are now running into the third counterintuitive feature of relativity theory, that simultaneity is relative. Einstein's train thought experiment addresses this seemingly paradoxical aspect of relativity.The first counterintuitive feature is that the speed of light is the same to all observers. Suppose I'm sitting on the hood of a moving car, idly tossing rocks forward. You're watching this while standing still on the ground. If the car is going 30 mph and I'm throwing those rocks at 30 mph relative to me, you will see those rocks as moving at 60 mph because 30 mph + 30 mph = 60 mph. If I shine a flashlight instead of throwing rocks, you would expect those photons to be coming at you at c+30 mph. That's not how it works. This is what makes the constant speed of light so counterintuitive.

One consequence of relativity theory is that our naive velocity addition rules aren't right. This applies not only to beams of photons but to everything. Going back to the tossing pebbles situation, the velocity of those rocks is not quite 60 mph. It is however so close to 60 mph that the error is immeasurably small.

The second counterintuitive feature is that time and distance are relative. Again, this doesn't make a bit of sense from the perspective of our everyday world. It's the passage of time and the distance between objects that are the same to all observers in our everyday world. You have to surrender your grip on those everyday concepts to understand relativity theory.

As already mentioned, the third counterintuitive feature is relativity of simultaneity. The constancy of c, the velocity addition rules, the Lorentz transformations that describe how space and time are related, and the simultaneity of relativity go hand in hand. The constancy of c dictates that all of those other features must follow.

The two way (round trip) constancy of the speed of light is a physically observed fact. Some physicists from Einstein's time were working on how to explain this fundamental fact away. Einstein's brilliance was in taking this observed fact as being fundamental rather than explaining it away.

What is the velocity of light?

The velocity of light, denoted by the symbol c, is a fundamental physical constant that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. Its exact value is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

How is the velocity of light measured?

The velocity of light can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as the rotating mirror method or the Fizeau-Foucault experiment. These methods involve measuring the time it takes for light to travel a known distance and then using the equation c = d/t to calculate its velocity.

Why is the velocity of light considered a universal constant?

The velocity of light is considered a universal constant because it is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This was first demonstrated by Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant in all inertial reference frames.

How does the frame of reference affect the velocity of light?

The frame of reference does not affect the velocity of light. As per the principle of relativity, the laws of physics, including the speed of light, remain the same in all inertial frames of reference. This means that the velocity of light will be measured as the same value, regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate further. This is also known as the cosmic speed limit.