How Much Data Does Browsing 30 PF Forum Pages Typically Use?

• Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date
In summary, you would need to download aproximately 1024 Kb and upload 170Kb to view 30 forum webpages on average.
arunbg
I would like to know how much data(in Kb) I would have to download as well as upload to PF on average to view say 30 forum webpages ?

The reason why I'm asking this is because my internet connection has limits as to the amount of data that can be transferred and I always seem to exceed the limit (after which they start charging extra).I visit PF on a daily basis, but now I guess I'll have to come less often.:cry: :cry: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
My stats say that aproximately 1024 Kb were downloaded from PF and ~170Kb were uploaded, but I can't be 100% sure here. You can set up a setting in firefox not to download anything from webpages nor upload. That would do quite good.

Are you sure you're exceeding the limit because of PF? I would think that's more of an issue with P2P sharing programs, unless your limits are set low. My university limits bandwidth to 1.5 GB down and 1.5 up per week due to people using P2P.

Try turning the images off, saves a lot of bandwidth, but also takes the fun away from surfing. OR
Get an unlimited bandwidth connection.

What are the limits, arun? I think it's 1 GB per month? That's what I have currently, and I pay extra as well. I agree with getting an unlimited usage plan. You might want to take a look at this one from BSNL

http://www.bsnl.in/bsnlnews.asp?intNewsId=66407"

Last edited by a moderator:
My limit is set at 400 Mb per month (BSNL), which is barely anything .
My Dad won't allow me to have an unlimited connection either, not now at least .
I do use P2P occassionally but I don't do any uploading.
Can someone tell me how I might turn the images off in IE or firefox ?
Even when I am reading a webpage which has completely loaded, there still seems to be intermittent data transfer .
Hearless, are your stats for 30 pages ? 1024 Kb seems quite admissible.

Thanks for the feedback you guys .

1024 Kb, is fair for PF, especially when one sits in General Discussion Forums half a time, and visits picture threads, and there are many, also TeX also gets some space since I download all the images.

To turn off downloading images in firefox, go to about:config
in filter type: 'images' and you should see a line: advenced.always_load_images, then double click it, and it should turn out to be false.
Then, it's also good to turn off web cache for that downloads website templates, flash movies, ads and all that stuff on you harddrive.
Write in filter 'cache' and you should see a line 'browser.cache_disk_allow' disable it by double clicking. I'm not sure whether this actually helps you because it doesn't work for me, images are still loading. You may also try Edit/Preferences/Web Features/check off 'Load images'

Last edited:
If you are having data transfer even when the page has loaded, then you better scan your computer for viruses. And install a firewall (Zone Alarm is quite good) if you don't have one.

arunbg said:
My limit is set at 400 Mb per month (BSNL), which is barely anything .
My Dad won't allow me to have an unlimited connection either, not now at least .
I do use P2P occassionally but I don't do any uploading.
Can someone tell me how I might turn the images off in IE or firefox ?
Even when I am reading a webpage which has completely loaded, there still seems to be intermittent data transfer .
Hearless, are your stats for 30 pages ? 1024 Kb seems quite admissible.

Thanks for the feedback you guys .

You might want to get the https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/10/" extension for Firefox (some people might recommend Adblock Plus, but I can't speak for them). Fx, as such has only the "Block images from site" option in the context menu. With adblcok, you can either block all those irritating ads around the webpage, or selectively remove them.

I use the 256/1 gig connection, and the downloads has been on the rise for the past three months thanks to internet radio. I really hope that they change the times of the "free hours"; 2-8 is terrible. :yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
For a lower bandwitdth version of PF, you might want to try using the stripped down Physics Forums Library, found here. Unfortunately, though, the library doesn't seem to give users any cues by which to differentiate quoted and non-quoted text (and you can forget about latex and graphics), so it may be difficult/impractical to use.

Thank you heartless for that data .
Hypnagogue, PF without Latex is unthinkable to me, so I'd rather skip that idea.
I think I'll go one more month with daily PF visits and see what happens .
And no more video clips from GD ):
Thanks you guys for all the replies.

Arun

1. How much data can be transferred at one time?

The amount of data that can be transferred at one time depends on several factors, including the speed of the connection and the capacity of the devices involved. In general, modern internet connections can transfer data at speeds of several megabits per second, allowing for large amounts of data to be transferred at once.

2. What is the maximum amount of data that can be transferred in a day?

The maximum amount of data that can be transferred in a day is also dependent on various factors, including the speed of the connection and the amount of time available for transferring data. With a fast internet connection and a full day of uninterrupted transfer time, it is possible to transfer several terabytes of data.

3. How much data can be transferred over a network?

The amount of data that can be transferred over a network is determined by the bandwidth of the network. Bandwidth refers to the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted over a network in a given amount of time. The higher the bandwidth, the more data can be transferred over the network.

4. What is the average data transfer speed for a home internet connection?

The average data transfer speed for a home internet connection varies depending on the type of connection. For DSL connections, the average speed is around 30 Mbps, while cable connections can reach speeds of 100 Mbps or more. Fiber optic connections have the highest average speed, ranging from 250 Mbps to 1 Gbps.

5. How much data can be transferred on a smartphone?

The amount of data that can be transferred on a smartphone is also dependent on various factors, such as the type of connection (WiFi or cellular), the speed of the connection, and the data plan. With a high-speed WiFi connection, it is possible to transfer several gigabytes of data on a smartphone, but with a limited cellular data plan, the amount of data that can be transferred may be much lower.