What are the mechanical properties of stranded steel cable?

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a table that provides the mechanical properties of stranded steel cable, specifically the yield strength for a particular diameter and strand arrangement. They are wondering if they can find this information in the ASTM A1023 standard or if they need to contact the manufacturer. The other person suggests using Google to find wire rope specifications and provides a helpful link.
capterdi
Hi,

I´m looking for a table for stranded steel cable mechanical properties where I could find for a particular diameter of cable (and possibly strand arrangement) which is the corresponding yield strengh.

Or do I necessarily have to go for ASTM A1023 standard to get this data?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
capterdi said:
Hi,

I´m looking for a table for stranded steel cable mechanical properties where I could find for a particular diameter of cable (and possibly strand arrangement) which is the corresponding yield strengh.

Or do I necessarily have to go for ASTM A1023 standard to get this data?

Thanks.

I'd check with the manufacturer of the cable.

CS

pantaz,

I see. Good links. Thanks a lot.

1. What is a stranded steel cable?

A stranded steel cable is a type of wire rope made up of multiple strands of thin steel wires twisted or braided together. It is commonly used for various applications such as in construction, transportation, and telecommunications.

2. How is data collected from stranded steel cables?

Data from stranded steel cables can be collected using various methods, including strain gauges, accelerometers, and fiber optic sensors. These sensors are attached to the cable and measure changes in tension, strain, or movement, which can then be recorded and analyzed.

3. What type of data can be collected from stranded steel cables?

The data collected from stranded steel cables typically includes information about the cable's tension, strain, vibration, and temperature. This data can be used to monitor the cable's performance, detect potential issues, and predict maintenance needs.

4. How is stranded steel cable data used in engineering?

Stranded steel cable data is used in engineering to assess the structural integrity and performance of the cables in various applications. This data can be used to optimize designs, monitor safety, and predict potential failures, leading to more efficient and reliable structures.

5. What are the benefits of using stranded steel cables for data collection?

Using stranded steel cables for data collection offers several benefits, including high strength and durability, easy installation and maintenance, and the ability to collect data in real-time. Additionally, stranded steel cables can withstand harsh environmental conditions and can be used for long-term data monitoring.