Circular motion - finding revolutions?

In summary: I considered it a toss-up.So now that we have the full problem:A wheel starts from rest with a constant angular acceleration of 2.50 rad/s2 and rolls for 7.72 seconds.How many revolutions does it go through?You could:1. Use one of the kinematic equations I gave you the link to.2. Use the rotational analog of d = v*t ... namely theta = omega*t.
wschmidt22
i've been struggling for hours upon hours attempting to find the answer to simple problems and I'm extremely depressed..

how do i find the amount of revolutions if I'm given the constant angular acceleration (rad/s^2) and the time (seconds)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you solve the analogous linear problem? If you were given the time and a constant linear acceleration, could you solve for the distance traveled? It's the same problem.

Angular quantities obey kinematic equations analogous to those obeyed by linear quantities. See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html#rlin"

You also need to be able to convert from radians to revolutions. How are they related?

Last edited by a moderator:
i've spent hours crunching numbers into equations.. find total radians then divide by 2*pi? I'm burnt out.. how about you just tell me what i do

or at least put it into english for me, to get the amount of rotations, when you have acceleration and time.. you need to do what?

How about you post the exact problem you are trying to solve and show what you've done so far.

You didn't answer my question: Do you know how to solve the linear kinematic problem?

[I'll move this to HW: Intro Physics.]

i'm simply asking the proper method for finding revolutions when given accel and time. I've struggled for hours and I'm pretty fed up.. if you want to do the whole "answer my question with a question" thing, then go for it dude.. I'm just looking for a little help.

and yeah you just plug the values in the equation.. pretty straightforward.

wschmidt22 said:
and yeah you just plug the values in the equation.. pretty straightforward.
What equation are you using?

you're killin me here doc.. I've tried everything.. i know this is easy. tell me this: do i need to find the radius? if so, how do i do that using rad/s? is it vT/(2*pi)? c'mon doc.. work with me here.

Let me get this straight. You've worked on this for hours, yet you won't take 5 minutes to state the exact problem and show what you've done?

No, you don't need the radius. (At least as far as I can tell, since you still haven't stated the full problem.) So far, it sounds like a kinematics problem. But who knows?

(FYI: The kinematics equations are all contained in that link I gave.)

A wheel starts from rest with a constant angular acceleration of 2.50 rad/s2 and rolls for 7.72 seconds.

How many revolutions does it go through?

answer is 11.86.. how the hell do you get there?

There are several ways to go:

Look for a kinematic equation that relates distance/displacement (or angle) to acceleration and time. Here's a list: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2"

Or you can just figure out the average angular speed and use that to figure out the angle swept out during that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
k. just used displacement & time:

x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2

then divided by 2*pi

now how about when they give the radius and time? which equations do i need there?

ex:

While riding on a Ferris wheel at a constant speed, you measure on your stopwatch that it takes the wheel 41.87 seconds to finish one cycle. The radius of the wheel is 15.20 meters. What is the angular velocity of the wheel's rotation?

Doc Al said:
Could you solve the analogous linear problem? If you were given the time and a constant linear acceleration, could you solve for the distance traveled? It's the same problem.

Let's say a truck is accelerating at a constant rate of 2 [itex]m/s^2[/tex] and is traveling in a straight line.
How far does the truck travel in 5 seconds?

wschmidt22 said:
k. just used displacement & time:

x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2

then divided by 2*pi
Good.

now how about when they give the radius and time? which equations do i need there?

ex:

While riding on a Ferris wheel at a constant speed, you measure on your stopwatch that it takes the wheel 41.87 seconds to finish one cycle. The radius of the wheel is 15.20 meters. What is the angular velocity of the wheel's rotation?
Since you're only asked about angular velocity, the radius is irrelevant. And since the velocity is constant, use the rotational analog of distance = velocity*time.

zgozvrm said:
Let's say a truck is accelerating at a constant rate of 2 [itex]m/s^2[/tex] and is traveling in a straight line.
How far does the truck travel in 5 seconds?
That depends on its initial velocity. But you'd use the same kinematic equation.

Doc Al said:
That depends on its initial velocity. But you'd use the same kinematic equation.

That's my point ... there is no initial velocity given in the original question! (Just acceleration and time)

zgozvrm said:
That's my point ... there is no initial velocity given in the original question! (Just acceleration and time)
That's why I kept insisting that the full question be posted. And it was...
wschmidt22 said:
A wheel starts from rest...

My bad! I made my post before updating my browser so didn't see that.

I was trying to help the OP see that either the question was incomplete or that the answer was that you couldn't give the displacement based on the data given.

1. What is circular motion and how is it related to revolutions?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. Revolutions refer to the number of times an object completes one full rotation around the circular path. In other words, revolutions are a measure of the distance traveled in circular motion.

2. How do you calculate the number of revolutions in circular motion?

The number of revolutions in circular motion can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the circumference of the circular path. This can be represented by the formula N = d/2πr, where N is the number of revolutions, d is the total distance traveled, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity in circular motion?

Angular velocity refers to the rate of change of angular displacement in circular motion, while linear velocity refers to the rate of change of linear displacement. In simpler terms, angular velocity measures how quickly an object is rotating around the circular path, while linear velocity measures how quickly it is moving along the circular path.

4. How do you convert between angular velocity and linear velocity in circular motion?

To convert between angular velocity and linear velocity, you can use the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. This means that the linear velocity is equal to the product of the angular velocity and the radius of the circular path.

5. How does centripetal force affect circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circular path and is responsible for maintaining the object's velocity and direction. Without centripetal force, the object would continue moving in a straight line instead of a circular path.