RC Circuit Transient Response Analysis

In summary: V. When the switch opens the output can only rise to that.When the switch is opened, the voltage source will only be 3V. So when the switch is opened, the output will only be -8.125V.
dudforreal said:
oh sorry...so it is 3.322 x 0.1236 = 0.411V.

That looks good. The numbers and calculation are good.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gotta go catch some zZ's now. I'll check back in the morning (my morning, that is).

:zzz:

I think that my answer is wrong because when I used this equation on a different question with the same circuit with the voltage source being 4V, R1 = 1600, R = 2000 and C = 10n the answer I got was 0.798V but the correct answer is 1.4239V.

Good morning. (*YAWN*)

I took another look at the problem. A small correction is required to the time response formula.

This time the exponential is starting at zero and heading towards a final value that's equal to the Thevenin voltage of the resistor network. So the form is:
[tex] V_o(t) = V_{th} \left(1 - e^{-t/\tau} \right) [/tex]

Regarding your "different question with the same circuit", apply the above suggested formula and recheck your result -- also check to see if the time t1 to be plugged in is the same for both problems.

ok cool i got the answer. Now for the second part of the question with the switch between the resistor and the voltage source, my answer for the time before and after 0 as 0V and it is going to -5(7500/17500) = -2.143V.

dudforreal said:
ok cool i got the answer. Now for the second part of the question with the switch between the resistor and the voltage source, my answer for the time before and after 0 as 0V and it is going to -5(7500/17500) = -2.143V.

Yes, that's what I see for that circuit.

ok thanks i got the answer :smile: