Solve Beam Reactions: Shear/Moment Diagram Help

• Thread starter tmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the conversation is about a shear and moment diagram on a Wikipedia page. The person is struggling to resolve the reaction forces and is seeking help. The response mentions the use of different methods to solve for the reactions and explains the concept of moments and couples. It is also suggested that starting with a simpler example may be helpful for someone new to shear and moment diagrams.
tmer
1.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_and_moment_diagram on this page is a shear moment diagram. I can't work out how to resolve the reaction forces. please help.
2. M=D*F
3. I tried to use the moment equation at the points where there are reaction forces. Ie the two pin joints and the wall support, but this gave me the wrong numbers. I think it might be beacuse I've made a mistake with the 50 k/ft turning force. please show me how to work out the forces. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, tmer, welcome to these forums!

In that Wiki example, the beam is statically indeterminate, so you cannot solve for the reaction forces using statics alone, you must use other methods involving deflections, moment distribution, or other means, which are tedious and a bit difficult. But in this example, the reactions have been calculated for you, and when you sum moments about any point, using the loadings and reactions given, assumed correct, then that sum must equal zero, being sure to watch plus/minus signs (cw vs. ccw moments).

The moment of a force about a point is, as you note, force times perpendicular distance. The moment of a couple (the 50 ft-kip moment you have referred to, which is a couple, not a force) about any point is just the couple itself (it is always 50 ft-k no matter which point you choose to sum moments about). When drawing the shear diagram, the couple is 'ignored' when calculating the shear value at that point of application, because it does not change the shear force; when drawing the moment diagram, the couple adds to the moment at that point of application.

If you are new to shear and moment diagrams, Wiki in general is not a good place to start learning, as it generally starts with a complex example and proceeds to the more complex.

Thank you for your reply. I think It is odd that they put a statically indeterminate example there, but I see what you mean. Thanks.

What is a shear/moment diagram?

A shear/moment diagram is a graphical representation of the shear and moment forces acting on a beam. It helps to visualize and determine the internal forces and bending moments at different points along the beam.

Why do I need to solve beam reactions?

Solving beam reactions is important because it helps to ensure the structural integrity and safety of a beam. By calculating the reactions, we can determine the maximum load that the beam can support and make necessary adjustments to prevent failure.

How do I solve beam reactions?

To solve beam reactions, you need to follow a systematic approach. First, draw a free body diagram of the beam and apply the equilibrium equations to determine the support reactions. Then, use the equations for shear and moment to determine the reactions at different points along the beam.

What factors affect beam reactions?

The factors that affect beam reactions include the type of support (fixed, pinned, or roller), the type of load (point load, distributed load, or moment), and the properties of the beam (length, material, cross-sectional shape).

Can I use software to solve beam reactions?

Yes, there are various software programs available that can help to solve beam reactions. These programs use numerical methods and algorithms to quickly and accurately calculate the reactions and produce shear/moment diagrams. However, it is still important to have a basic understanding of the concepts and equations involved in order to interpret and verify the results.