Sum and product rule of measures

In summary, a measure must have the following properties: it must sum up the values of its underlying sets, it must be able to be translated to a multiplication of probabilities on propositions, and it must be able to be represented by a single number.
friend
I'm wondering what requirements must exist for a measure, m, to have the following properties:

m(Sum(P_i))= Sum(m(P_i)) the sum rule

m(Prod(P_i))=Prod(m(P_i)) the product rule

Where P_i are underlying sets or single propositions.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
So Pi are sets??

Then how did you define Sum Pi and Prod Pi??

micromass said:
So Pi are sets??

Then how did you define Sum Pi and Prod Pi??

OK. I wanted to leave even that part open in case there are particular definitions of Sum and Prod for which the measure distributes inside the Sum or the Prod. But initially my first guess is that Sum is defined as traditional addition of numbers, and Prod is defined as traditional multiplication of numbers, and the P_i are sets.

For example, as I understand measure theory, in order that m(P1 union P2)=m(P1)+m(P2), there must be the restriction that P1 intersect P2 = empty set. In other words, P1 and P2 must be disjoint. In all the books I've looked at, this seems to be given as an axiom that's not proven. Yet, I wonder if there is a similar or perhaps dual requirement for Prod?

Also, my goal is to be able to somehow put a measure on the space of propositions so that disjunction and conjunction get translated to addition and multiplication of measures on propositions or on sets of propositions. Can one get from the more traditional treatments of measures on sets to getting measures on propositions by letting the number of elements in a set go to 1 element? Then propositions could be labeled synonymously with its set. Would this turn unions and intersections into disjunction and conjunction? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
For product, you need to look at probability theory, where the concept of independence comes in. P(A∩B∩C) = P(A)P(B)P(C) if A,B,C are independent.

... I'm not sure that is quite applicable.

Anyway, that's how a measure is defined. And then we prove theorems about things that satisfy that property (hopefully).

mathman said:
For product, you need to look at probability theory, where the concept of independence comes in. P(A∩B∩C) = P(A)P(B)P(C) if A,B,C are independent.

Yes, I've read that somewhere. I'm not sure how this is consistent with sets being disjoint for addition. For if [tex]A\bigcap B \equiv \oslash[/tex], then [tex]P(A\bigcap B\bigcap C) \equiv 0[/tex] for every [tex]A, B, or C.[/tex]

But if this can be made to be consistent with adding probabilities, then I wonder if this multiplication can be made more general for other kinds of measures. Or is there something in the normalization procedure that gives us this multiplication of probabilities for independent events.

Last edited:
I don't know of anything other than the obvious. m(A∪B) + m(A∩B) = m(A) + m(B).

1. What is the sum rule of measures?

The sum rule of measures is a mathematical principle that states that the probability of the union of two mutually exclusive events is equal to the sum of their individual probabilities. In other words, if event A and event B cannot occur at the same time, the probability of either A or B occurring is equal to the sum of their probabilities.

2. How is the sum rule of measures used in probability?

The sum rule of measures is used to calculate the probability of an event occurring when there are multiple possible outcomes. It allows us to combine the individual probabilities of mutually exclusive events to determine the overall probability of a given outcome.

3. What is the product rule of measures?

The product rule of measures is a mathematical principle that states that the probability of the intersection of two independent events is equal to the product of their individual probabilities. In other words, if event A and event B are independent, the probability of both A and B occurring is equal to the product of their probabilities.

4. How is the product rule of measures used in probability?

The product rule of measures is used to calculate the probability of two or more independent events occurring together. It allows us to multiply the individual probabilities of each event to determine the overall probability of all events occurring together.

5. Can the sum and product rule of measures be applied to non-mutually exclusive or dependent events?

No, the sum and product rule of measures can only be applied to mutually exclusive and independent events. If events are not mutually exclusive, the sum rule cannot be used, and if events are not independent, the product rule cannot be used. In these cases, more advanced probability principles must be used to calculate the probability of the events occurring.