What is the magnetic permeability of clay?

In summary, the conversation involves applying the law of mixtures to a clay-steel magnetic composite and determining the optimal ratio per unit mass. The permeability of steel and clay, as well as their densities, are needed for this calculation. While the permeability of steel and density of both materials can be easily found, finding the permeability of clay proves to be more difficult as most sources refer to its permeability by water rather than magnetism. A link is provided to a resource that provides the necessary information for the calculation. However, caution is advised when using the "law" of mixtures as magnetic flux requires a path to flow through the mix. Applying proportions to the reciprocals of permeability may provide a more accurate result
inventor1488
I am trying to apply the law of mixtures to a clay-steel magnetic composite. To determine the optimal ratio per unit mass I need the permeability of steel and clay and the density of steel and clay. The permeability permeability of steel and the density of steel and clay is easy enough to find. The permeability of clay is another story.

When I google it I usually find permeability in a "permeable by water" sense, not the "permeable by magnetism" sense.

Anyone have this value or know where to find it?

Thanks for ANY help you can provide!

Engineering news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi inventor1488! welcome to pf! :smile:

does this help? …

http://www.civil.iitb.ac.in/~dns/IACMAG08/pdfs/E13.pdf​

Last edited by a moderator:

tiny-tim said:
does this help? …
http://www.civil.iitb.ac.in/~dns/IACMAG08/pdfs/E13.pdf​

Why yes! Yes it does!

Last edited by a moderator:
in case you're wondering, i googled "magnetic permeability" of clay (with the quotes), and it was the third hit :wink:

You will get bizarre claims with the so-called "law" of mixtures. Magnetic flux needs a path to, sort of, percolate through you mix.

To the very least, you should apply proportions to the reciprocals of permeability. This will be less false.

1. What is magnetic permeability?

Magnetic permeability is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized. It is a physical property that describes the relationship between an applied magnetic field and the resulting magnetic flux density.

2. How is magnetic permeability measured?

Magnetic permeability is typically measured in units of Henrys per meter (H/m) or Tesla per meter (T/m) using specialized equipment such as a permeameter or a magnetometer.

3. What is the magnetic permeability of clay?

The magnetic permeability of clay can vary depending on the specific type of clay and its composition. Generally, clay has a low magnetic permeability, meaning it is not easily magnetized.

4. Why is the magnetic permeability of clay important?

The magnetic permeability of clay is important in various industries, such as construction and mineral exploration. Clay's low magnetic permeability can affect its strength and stability, and can also impact the detection of minerals in geological surveys.

5. Can the magnetic permeability of clay be changed?

In some cases, the magnetic permeability of clay can be altered by adding certain substances or subjecting it to high temperatures. However, this is not a common practice and is usually only done in specific industrial applications.