Liquid with Lower Density than Petrol: Non-Fuel Options

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a liquid with lower density than petrol that is not a fuel and exists at room temperature. Suggestions include liquid helium and hydrogen cyanide, with the latter meeting all criteria but being highly flammable.
M.Kalai vanan
Is there any liquid that has lower density than petrol.
one more point : it should not be a fuel.Is there any?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Liquid helium.

Borek said:
Liquid helium.

Borek, I fear this forum is slowly mutating you into a physicist!

:devil:

thanks.
But liquid helium doesn't exist in liquid form in room temperature.
Is there any other liquids less dense than petrol and exists as liquid in room temperature.

You are moving goalposts now :tongue2:

And I am not convinced you told us all. What will be the next condition? And what does it mean "not a fuel"?

Not that I can think of any substance that is liquid at RTP, has a density around 0.7 g/mL and is not a hydrocarbon.

How about Hydrogen cyanide? Boiling Point 25 deg. Celsius, Density 0.68 g/cm^3. Not used as a fuel as far as I know although it is highly inflammable. It is used both as a reactant and a solvent in the Gattermann synthesis.

1. What are some examples of liquids with lower density than petrol?

Some examples include ethanol, methanol, vegetable oils, and liquid hydrogen.

2. How is density measured?

Density is measured by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. It is typically expressed in units of grams per milliliter (g/mL) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

3. Why is it important to have alternatives to petrol?

Having alternatives to petrol can reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and help mitigate the negative impact of greenhouse gas emissions on the environment. It can also provide more sustainable options for transportation and energy production.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using liquids with lower density than petrol?

Yes, some of these liquids may be highly flammable or toxic, so proper handling and storage precautions should be taken. Additionally, their lower density may affect their combustion properties and require modifications to engines or equipment.

5. Can these non-fuel liquids be used in all types of vehicles?

No, not all vehicles or engines are compatible with liquids with lower density than petrol. Some may require modifications or specific fueling systems in order to use these alternatives safely and efficiently.