Register to reply

Is there a circuit for charging metals?

by tendor
Tags: charging, circuit, metals
Share this thread:
tendor
Mar21-14, 04:41 PM
P: 11
Without moving macroscopic parts... No van de Graaff generators or piezo-something - just normal circuit that would used a battery at one point and on the other there would be macroscopicly charged electrode. :-)
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers find security flaws in backscatter X-ray scanners
Virtual reality guides those whose memory is failing
Intelligent navigation system to personalise shopping trips
berkeman
Mar21-14, 04:50 PM
Mentor
P: 40,932
Quote Quote by tendor View Post
Without moving macroscopic parts... No van de Graaff generators or piezo-something - just normal circuit that would used a battery at one point and on the other there would be macroscopicly charged electrode. :-)
What voltage do you want to charge to? What is the geometry of the 2 pieces of metal that you want to charge to that voltage difference?
tendor
Mar21-14, 05:01 PM
Nothing big, few volts (but as much as could be efficiently squeezed out of it). Well ground and spoon for example... Purpose would be to charge a metal object attached to the electrode.

berkeman
Mar21-14, 05:14 PM
Mentor
Is there a circuit for charging metals?

Nothing big, few volts (but as much as could be efficiently squeezed out of it). Well ground and spoon for example... Purpose would be to charge a metal object attached to the electrode.
You can just use a battery or power supply. if you connect the + lead of a 9V battery to the spoon, and the - lead to the ground, you've charged the spoon up to 9V with respect to the ground.

What is the application that you have in mind?
tendor
Mar21-14, 05:42 PM
Well yes, sorry I didn't rule this out from the start. I had in mind something little bit more stockpiling, so lets take it to as high voltages as possible (until it starts leak out too quickly by ionization of its surroundings).

I will probably disappoint you but I just want efficient way for macroscopic charging for further experiments.
sophiecentaur
Mar21-14, 06:04 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,130
You would need a very high voltage in order to charge any 'common' object appreciably (they have Low Capacitance). If you want to store large amounts of charge at low voltages, you need a capacitor (A structure with two 'plates' of large area and separated by a very small distance).
But high voltages (and even humble capacitors) can be very dangerous for the uninitiated. Be careful.
tendor
Mar21-14, 06:11 PM
I remember all that from electrodynamics courses, the engineering point is difficulty here, I think I've never heard of electrostatic generator completely without mechanical parts.
berkeman
Mar21-14, 06:23 PM
Mentor
Well yes, sorry I didn't rule this out from the start. I had in mind something little bit more stockpiling, so lets take it to as high voltages as possible (until it starts leak out too quickly by ionization of its surroundings).

I will probably disappoint you but I just want efficient way for macroscopic charging for further experiments.
I remember all that from electrodynamics courses, the engineering point is difficulty here, I think I've never heard of electrostatic generator completely without mechanical parts.
How do you think a traditional CRT charges the face of the display to several 10s of kV?

I'm not sure we want to be teaching you how to charge things to high voltages if your understanding of elecricity and electrical safety is not very great yet...
jim hardy
Mar21-14, 06:25 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,636
not sure what you want to accomplish..

There exists a standard for testing carpet's electrostatic behavior

'don a pair of shoes with soles made from chrome tanned leather, take ( i don't recall how many steps of what length, but around ten feet) and touch an electrostatic voltmeter'...

In a humid place like S Florida it doesn't work well, but in Idaho winters it's quite an effective demonstration.
tendor
Mar21-14, 07:09 PM
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
How do you think a traditional CRT charges the face of the display to several 10s of kV?

I'm not sure we want to be teaching you how to charge things to high voltages if your understanding of elecricity and electrical safety is not very great yet...
High voltage transformer and vacuum tube, long time ago. Ok that could work, but it's a bit violent for my taste.

If I planed to kill myself with my own stupidity, it wouldn't be your fault, but don't worry at this point I'm here just to bounce of ideas (or gain them would be more precise right now).
meBigGuy
Mar22-14, 05:24 AM
P: 1,083
A tesla coil?
sophiecentaur
Mar22-14, 07:24 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,130
Quote Quote by meBigGuy View Post
A tesla coil?
A Tesla transformer is a AC (rf) source.
DrZoidberg
Mar22-14, 08:06 AM
P: 389
You could use a 12V air ionizer.
They consist of a voltage converter like the ones used in photoflash chargers attached to a Cockroft Walton voltage multiplier.
Or an electric fly swatter, they work in the same way but with lower voltage.

Register to reply