Would like to discuss and idea with a material science engineer

by thepredestrian
Tags: discuss, engineer, material, science
Share this thread:
thepredestrian
Apr27-14, 05:42 AM
P: 2
Hi there!

Im new to this forum so pardon me if this is the wrong place to post my question.

Basically, I have an idea with regards to doing some modification to phone screens. However, there is no such technology (yet) for this and I have zero knowledge and background pertaining to engineering.

What I want to ask you guys is: who can I talk to / what steps can I do to test the technological viability of my idea?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers find security flaws in backscatter X-ray scanners
Virtual reality guides those whose memory is failing
Intelligent navigation system to personalise shopping trips
Simon Bridge
Apr27-14, 10:00 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,746
Welcome to PF;
Step 1: You need to hire an engineer who has worked on capacitative touch-screens before and who you are prepared to explain your idea in detail to. Without those details nobody can advise you beyond the basics.

Since you have "zero knowledge and background pertaining to engineering" it seems unlikely that you have come up with something for which there is yet "no such technology". An engineer will be able to fill you in. Again - you have to be prepared to part with the details.

By hiring the engineer you can add a non-disclosure agreement to the contract so you don't have to worry about public disclosure so much.

Assessing technology proposals is a difficult and skilled job where you pretty much get what you pay for.
thepredestrian
Apr27-14, 10:08 AM
P: 2
Quote Quote by Simon Bridge View Post
Welcome to PF;
Step 1: You need to hire an engineer who has worked on capacitative touch-screens before and who you are prepared to explain your idea in detail to. Without those details nobody can advise you beyond the basics.

Since you have "zero knowledge and background pertaining to engineering" it seems unlikely that you have come up with something for which there is yet "no such technology". An engineer will be able to fill you in. Again - you have to be prepared to part with the details.

By hiring the engineer you can add a non-disclosure agreement to the contract so you don't have to worry about public disclosure so much.

Assessing technology proposals is a difficult and skilled job where you pretty much get what you pay for.

THANK YOU. At least someone who can give me some directions, unlike the other subforum I posted a similar question on.

One question I would like clarification for: could you explain a little but more on what this 'assessing technology proposals' are? Do you mean to say that there are engineers out there whose job is to get paid assessing these kind of proposals? Also, where do you think I can find such engineers?

Vanadium 50
Apr27-14, 10:23 AM
Mentor
P: 16,317
Would like to discuss and idea with a material science engineer

This is being discussed elsewhere: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...56#post4730856

Register to reply