Finding the Distance b/w Particles in Gravitational Field

In summary, the question discusses two particles moving in a uniform gravitational field and asks for the distance between them when their velocity vectors become mutually perpendicular. The approach involves expressing the velocities as a function of time and finding the angles made by the velocity vectors with the vertical. The equation Tan^-1(4.9t/3) + tan^-1(4.9t/4) = pi/2 can be used to solve for time and then the distance between the particles can be calculated using projectile equations. The question also asks for feedback on this approach.
vaishakh
See this question. Two particles are moving in a uniform gravitational field with an acceleration g. at the initial moment, the particles were located at one point and moved with velocities v1 = 3m/sec and v2 = 4m/sec horizontally in opposite directions. Find the distance between the particles at the moment when their velocity vectors become mutually perpendicular to each other.
I wrote the velocity of the particles as a function of time. Let i be a unit vector horizontally j be a unit vector vertically.
Thus v1(t) = 3ti - 4.9t^2j and v2(t) = -4ti - 4.9t^2j.
Then I expressed theta1 and theta2, the angles made by the velocity vector of the particle with the vertical. There theta1(t) = tan^-1(4.9t/3) and theta2 = tan^-1(4.9t/4). Since the angle became 90deg, we can write the equation,
Tan^-1(4.9t/3) + tan^-1(4.9t/4) = pi/2.
Therefore 4.9t/3 = 4/4.9t. Therefore t^2 = 2^1/2 approx.
The rest of the work is normal and can be solved just using projectile equations. But I want to know whether my approach to the problem is good or whether there is another better approach. The doubt is because this is the first time I am using such a method and it is totally new to me. I hope the method is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
It for the angle between the vectors. What happens to the dot product of two vectors when the angle between them is 90°?

if the two velocity vectors are perpendicular and one is making angle theeta with downward vertical the other will make an angle 90 - theeta with downwaed vertical. hence if for first tan theeta = 3/gt for the other cot theeta = 4/gt gives g^2*t^2 = 12 may get time easily.

1. What is the gravitational field?

The gravitational field is a region in space where an object with mass experiences a force of attraction towards another object with mass.

2. How is the distance between particles in a gravitational field calculated?

The distance between particles in a gravitational field can be calculated using the formula r = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2), where x, y, and z are the coordinates of the particles in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the relationship between the distance and the strength of the gravitational force?

The strength of the gravitational force between two particles is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the gravitational force decreases.

4. How does the mass of the particles affect the distance between them in a gravitational field?

The mass of the particles does not directly affect the distance between them in a gravitational field. However, the distance between them will affect the strength of the gravitational force, which is determined by the mass of the particles.

5. Can the distance between particles in a gravitational field change?

Yes, the distance between particles in a gravitational field can change if there is a change in the mass or position of either particle. The distance between particles can also change due to external forces acting on them.