Some questions I am not very sure about

• Thread starter VietDao29
  • Start date
In summary, according to this equation, a chain rule equation can be found by solving for x in terms of y and z, y in terms of x or z, or z in terms of x and y.
VietDao29
Homework Helper
I have some questions that I don't really know for sure, and think that it would be great if you guys can help me out.
In high school, I am taught that:
[tex]a ^ 0 = 1, \ \forall a \neq 0[/tex], and hence 00 is not defined. However, I've recently read an article in Wikipedia that states a0 = 1, and it's also true for a = 0. So I am a little bit confused here.
Is 00 defined? What's the international rule?
---------------
The second question is about the chain rule. I did see someone posted something like:
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy} \frac{dy}{dz} \frac{dz}{dx} = -1[/tex]. However, I am not sure how to arrive at this equality.
I think it should be:
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy} \frac{dy}{dz} \frac{dz}{dx} = \frac{dx}{dz} \frac{dz}{dx} = \frac{dx}{dx} = 1[/tex].
I just wonder if I did make a mistake somewhere? :confused:
Thanks, :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
VietDao29 said:
I have some questions that I don't really know for sure, and think that it would be great if you guys can help me out.
In high school, I am taught that:
[tex]a ^ 0 = 1, \ \forall a \neq 0[/tex], and hence 00 is not defined. However, I've recently read an article in Wikipedia that states a0 = 1, and it's also true for a = 0. So I am a little bit confused here.
Is 00 defined? What's the international rule?

I've always tought 0^0 is undefined. I would be surprised if someone said otherwise. There are cases however, where we chose to regard o^0 as 1 in order to simplify the notation. Take a power serie for exemple. We write

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_k x^k[/tex]

But evaluate that that x=0 and your first term is [itex]a_0 0^0[/itex], which is not defined. But by convention, we chose to regard that term as just [itex]a_0[/itex] just to allow this writing. Otherwise, we'd have to always write power series as

[tex]a_0 + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_k x^k[/tex]

which would be tiresome.

Yes, I see your point of simplifying the notation. Thanks, :)
By the way, I found it here, section 1.2 Exponents one and zero.
So in that article, it's just plain wrong, right? The way I see it, the writer is defining 00 to be 1, which is a bit ambiguity, and also it does not seem correct to me...
Should I correct the article?

VietDao29 said:
So in that article, it's just plain wrong, right? The way I see it, the writer is defining 00 to be 1, which is a bit ambiguity,
I've seen it being defined as 1 before, I wouldn't correct it since there isn't an international consensus about this.

It seems like there should be a note about how this isn't universal and it's sometimes just left as undefined. This has been discussed many times here, so search around if you want more.

shmoe said:
It seems like there should be a note about how this isn't universal and it's sometimes just left as undefined. This has been discussed many times here, so search around if you want more.

Warning: Some people take 0^0=1 as obvious. I once heard an NCU Physics professor chew her grad student out because he didn't "know that."

Personally, I have found good arguments to call it either 0 or 1 depending on how you want to look at the situation. So I agree: undefined. (Sorry NCU prof! o:) )

-Dan

VietDao29 said:
The second question is about the chain rule. I did see someone posted something like:
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy} \frac{dy}{dz} \frac{dz}{dx} = -1[/tex]. However, I am not sure how to arrive at this equality.
I think it should be:
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy} \frac{dy}{dz} \frac{dz}{dx} = \frac{dx}{dz} \frac{dz}{dx} = \frac{dx}{dx} = 1[/tex].
I just wonder if I did make a mistake somewhere? :confused:
Thanks, :smile:

Actually that looks like the cyclical relation or the cyclical rule (from what I remember). It looks like this:

[tex]\Big(\frac{dx}{dy}\Big)_z\Big(\frac{dy}{dz}\Big)_x\Big(\frac{dz}{dx}\Big)_y=-1[/tex]

where the subscript means "keep fixed" (the first parenthesis means "derivate x wrt y and keep z fixed" and so on).

assyrian_77 said:
Actually that looks like the cyclical relation or the cyclical rule (from what I remember). It looks like this:

[tex]\Big(\frac{dx}{dy}\Big)_z\Big(\frac{dy}{dz}\Big)_x\Big(\frac{dz}{dx}\Big)_y=-1[/tex]

where the subscript means "keep fixed" (the first parenthesis means "derivate x wrt y and keep z fixed" and so on).
Uhmm, not very sure if I understand it. Can you give me an example?
Thanks,

Sure, consider the equation for the plane,
[tex]ax+by+cz=d[/tex]
and assume that a,b,c are non-zero (I'll set d=0 for simplicity.

Hence, you may if you wish solve for x in terms of y and z:
[tex]x=-\frac{b}{a}y-\frac{c}{a}z[/tex]
Or if you'd rather solve for y in terms of x or z:
[tex]y=-\frac{a}{b}x-\frac{c}{b}z[/tex]
Or you may solve for z in terms of x and y:
[tex]z=-\frac{a}{c}x-\frac{b}{c}y[/tex]

Using the appropriate expression, we may find partial derivatives:
[tex]\frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{y}}=-\frac{b}{a},\frac{\partial{y}}{\partial{z}}=-\frac{c}{b},\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}}=-\frac{a}{c}[/tex]

Multiply these together and get the amusing result.

Good example. The cyclical relation is quite useful in Thermodynamics / Statistical Mechanics with all the relations between the different variables. Here is an example:

[tex]\Big(\frac{\partial{S}}{\partial{T}}\Big)_{P}\Big(\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{S}}\Big)_{T}\Big(\frac{\partial{T}}{\partial{P}}\Big)_{S}=-1[/tex]

where S is the entropy, T the temperature and P the pressure.

The general case is as follows, let G be a function of n variables, and consider the equation for constant G:
[tex]G(x_{1},x_{2},...,x_{n})=K[/tex]
Assume that we have a solution of this equation called [itex]\hat{x}=(\hat{x}_{1},\hat{x}_{2}...,\hat{x}_{n})[/tex].
In a neighbourhood of [tex]\hat{x}[/tex], it should be possible to solve for anyone of the coordinates as some function of the other coordinates, i.e, there should exist n functions of the type:
[tex]x_{i}=X_{i}(x_{1},..x_{j},..,x_{n}), j=1,..,n, j\neq{i}[/tex]
so that we identically have in our region:
[tex]G(x_{1},..,X_{i}(x_{1},..x_{j},..,x_{n}),...,x_{n})=K[/tex]

By differentiating these relations, we should in particular have:
[tex]\frac{\partial{X}_{i}}{\partial{x}_{i+1}}=-\frac{\frac{\partial{G}}{\partial{x}_{i+1}}}{\frac{\partial{G}}{\partial{x}_{i}}},i=1,..n, x_{n+1}\equiv{x}_{1}[/tex]

Multiplying all these together, you'll get:
[tex]\prod_{i=1}^{n}\frac{\partial{X}_{i}}{\partial{x}_{i+1}}=(-1)^{n},x_{n+1}\equiv{x}_{1}[/tex]

Yes, thanks for all the replies, guys. It's very clear. Thanks, :)

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to study and understand the world around us. It involves making observations, asking questions, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

2. How do scientists come up with new ideas?

Scientists come up with new ideas through a process called creativity. This involves using their knowledge, experience, and imagination to generate new and innovative ideas that can help solve problems or expand our understanding of the world.

3. How do scientists ensure their results are accurate?

Scientists use various methods to ensure the accuracy of their results. This includes using control groups, repeating experiments, peer review, and statistical analysis. They also follow strict protocols and use precise measurement tools to minimize errors.

4. What is the role of ethics in scientific research?

Ethics play a crucial role in scientific research as it ensures that scientists conduct their studies in an ethical and responsible manner. This includes protecting the rights and welfare of human and animal subjects, being transparent and honest in reporting results, and avoiding conflicts of interest.

5. How can I become a scientist?

To become a scientist, you need to have a strong interest and aptitude for science, as well as a good understanding of basic scientific principles and methods. You will also need to pursue a higher education in a specific field of science, such as biology, chemistry, or physics, and gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities. Good communication and critical thinking skills are also essential for a successful career in science.