Cable modem so im always connected to the internet

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of MSN Messenger and its potential to make a computer vulnerable to viruses. It is recommended to have a router or a good software firewall, along with a reliable antivirus program. ZoneAlarm is suggested as a free option, but it is also mentioned that it may cause issues with the computer.
blimkie
anyone on here use msn

I have have a cable modem so I am always connected to the internet ... however when a program like msn is running does it amke it easier for my computer to become infected with a virus

Computer science news on Phys.org
When you say "msn," do you mean MSN Messenger?

- Warren

Do you have a router in addition to the modem or just the modem? If you have a router, it will provide a pretty high level of protection (remember to put a password on the setup application...).

If you don't have a router, you need a good software firewall. WinXP has one (if you have XP), otherwise, download the free version of ZoneAlarm. And, of course, you must have a decent virus scanner running at all times. It used to be that that put quite a strain on your system, but computers are fast enough today for it to not be noticeable.

I'm not sure about getting viruses through messenger apps. Certainly if you donload programs through them, you are vulnerable, but I don't know if there is another way they make you vulnerable just by being on them.

It is VERY VERY VERY easy for you to get viruses through MSN Messenger or any other chat program like that. You need an antivirus program that protects you from messenger viruses.. IE: Avast! AntiVirus.

Behind a router? great, a software firewall never hurt anybody.
Not behind a router? lol, go to ZA website immediatly.However, I don't use zonealarm anymore because it made my computer blue screen randomly.:grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

1. How does a cable modem keep me connected to the internet?

A cable modem is a device that connects your computer to the internet through your cable TV line. It uses a coaxial cable to transmit digital data signals to and from your internet service provider (ISP) to establish a connection. This allows for high-speed internet access and a constant connection to the internet.

2. What are the benefits of using a cable modem for internet access?

Cable modems offer several advantages over other types of internet connections. They provide high-speed internet access, which allows for faster downloading and streaming. Cable modems also offer a more stable and reliable connection compared to dial-up or satellite internet. Additionally, they do not tie up your phone line, so you can make phone calls while using the internet.

3. Can I use my cable modem with any internet service provider?

No, you cannot use a cable modem with any internet service provider. Cable modems are specifically designed to work with cable internet services, so you will need to check with your ISP to make sure your modem is compatible with their network. Some ISPs may require you to use a specific brand or type of modem.

4. Do I need a separate router if I have a cable modem?

Yes, you will need a separate router if you have a cable modem. A cable modem only connects your computer to the internet, but a router allows you to connect multiple devices, such as smartphones and laptops, to the internet at the same time. It also offers additional security features to protect your network.

5. How do I set up a cable modem for internet access?

The specific steps for setting up a cable modem may vary depending on the brand and model, but the general process involves connecting the modem to a power source and your cable TV jack, then connecting your computer to the modem with an Ethernet cable. You may also need to activate your modem with your ISP and follow their instructions for setting up your internet connection.