What is the role of optimization in commercial aircraft scheduling?

• Thread starter lo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topic
In summary, The person is seeking suggestions for a topic to write about in their math project. They are a high school student and are looking for a topic that is not too technical. Suggestions given include the RSA cryptosystem, the history of Fermat's Last Theorem, differential equations, and optimization in complex scheduling problems such as commercial airline scheduling. They are expected to explain the theory of the topic and provide examples to show their understanding.
lo2
Hi there,

I need a topic for this Big Math 'Excercise' (do not know what to call it), it is a compulsive thing. I have chosen Math as the subject But I need a topic to write about. So if youn have any suggestions they will be most appreciated. My Math level is that of a High School student.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what do you have to write? is it something like an essay?

murshid_islam said:
what do you have to write? is it something like an essay?

Well I do not really know what you mean by Essay.

I think that it will be pretty much like a report, just there are no experiments.

you can do it on RSA cryptosystem if you are interested in codes and cryptography. but you have to learn a little bit of modular arithmetic for that. or if you want something easier, you can do it on the history behind Fermat's Last Theorem. you can read the book "Fermat's Last Theorem" by Simon Singh for the history.

There are obviously many branches of mathematics you could look at. What level are you at right now (ie. within high school - algebra, precalc, calculus)? What have you been most interested in with regard to mathematics so far (general subjects, though the more specific the better!)?

Also, some more details about what is expected of the report (I take it that it shouldn't be technical - maybe a review of some history of an area of mathematics?)

Data said:
There are obviously many branches of mathematics you could look at. What level are you at right now (ie. within high school - algebra, precalc, calculus)? What have you been most interested in with regard to mathematics so far (general subjects, though the more specific the better!)?

Also, some more details about what is expected of the report (I take it that it shouldn't be technical - maybe a review of some history of an area of mathematics?)

I am at my last year at High School. The so called 'report' should explain the theory of the topic and then you can do some math probelsm to show that you have understood the theory.

But maybe differential equtations would be a a nice subject. But is there not also some math concerning polynomiums. And what about elipitic curves it that a bit to hardcore or could you pick that?

If you have basic calculus (differentiation, optimization), then a fascinating topic is the optimization that is done for large scale complex scheduling problems. The commercial aircraft scheduling optimization problem is a good example. If (as a person working for one of the big airlines) you do a good job of chosing and scheduling your airline's flights, then you can save on fuel costs, personnel costs, etc., and you can become more popular as an airline because you have flights that fit the demands of your customer base well. If you chose your flights and scheduling poorly, then you waste time and fuel and maintenance costs.

It's an enoumously complex problem in real life, and you can address that level of complexity in your write-up. It also helps to motivate the subject by including some of the estimates in cost savings that have been acheived with good optimized computer scheduling algorithms. Then you can set up the math for a simpler example, say with 5 airplanes and 10-20 potential routes and schedules. Set up some basic equations that relate operating costs to route choices and scheduling, and show how to optimize that simplified example.

If I have time, I'll google a little to get you some intro articles, or you can do a little yourself to see what you find.

1. What is "Big Math"?

"Big Math" is a term used to describe the study of large-scale mathematical concepts, often involving complex calculations and data analysis. It can also refer to the application of mathematics to solve real-world problems.

2. Why is "Big Math" important?

"Big Math" is important because it allows us to understand and solve complex problems in various fields, such as science, engineering, economics, and finance. It also helps us make informed decisions based on data analysis and predictions.

3. What are some examples of "Big Math" applications?

Examples of "Big Math" applications include weather forecasting, risk management in finance, optimizing supply chains, and analyzing large datasets in fields such as genetics and astronomy.

4. What skills are needed to excel in "Big Math"?

To excel in "Big Math," one needs a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis skills are also essential.

5. How is "Big Math" different from regular math?

"Big Math" involves dealing with larger and more complex datasets and problems compared to regular math. It also requires the use of specialized tools and techniques, such as computer programming and data visualization, to analyze and solve problems.