Solving Gas Mixture Problem: 10g Ca(ClO3)2 + Ca(ClO)2

In summary, when a 10.0g mixture of Ca(ClO3)2 and Ca(ClO)2 is heated to 973 Kelvins in a 10.0 L vessel, both compounds decompose, forming O2 and CaCl2. The final pressure inside the vessel is 1.00 atm.
leaf345
I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure this out, but I just can't seem to get this question:

When a 10.0g mixture of Ca(ClO3)2 abd Ca(ClO)2 is heated to 973 Kelvins in a 10.0 L vessel, both compounds decompose, forming O2 and CaCl2. The final pressure inside the vessel is 1.00 atm. What is the mass of each compount in the original mixture?

What I have done:
Used ideal gas law to calculate the number of moles in final mixture of gas. Got ~0.125 moles

I then let (x) be the initial grams of Ca(ClO3)2 and (x-10) be the initial grams of Ca(ClO)2. I wrote the balanced eq'ns for the decomposition for both.

Ca(ClO3)2 --> 3(O2) + CaCl2
Ca(ClO)2 --> O2 + CaCl2

• If (x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO3)2)= number of moles of Ca(ClO3)2
    Let 3(x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO3)2)= number of moles of O2 in first decomposition
    Let (x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO3)2)= number of moles of CaCl2
For the 2nd eq'n
If (10-x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO)2) = number of moles Ca(ClO)2
Let (10-x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO)2) = number of moles O2 in 2nd decomposition
Let (10-x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO)2) = number of moles CaCl2 in 2nd decomposition.

Then,
(10-x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO)2) + (10-x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO)2) + 3(x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO3)2) + (x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO3)2) = 0.125 moles.

I was guessing if I solved for x, I would be able to get the amount of grams...but I keep getting a negative value. I'm not sure why this doesn't work, it seems to make enough sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump b/c this question owns me

Check your equation - solids are not gaseous ;)

What is the purpose of solving gas mixture problems?

The purpose of solving gas mixture problems is to determine the composition and properties of a gas mixture. This can be useful in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in the production of fuels or in understanding the behavior of gases in the atmosphere.

What is the formula for solving gas mixture problems?

The formula for solving gas mixture problems is known as the Ideal Gas Law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

How do you solve a gas mixture problem?

To solve a gas mixture problem, you first need to gather all the necessary information, such as the initial and final volumes, pressures, and temperatures, as well as the number of moles of each gas present. Then, you can use the Ideal Gas Law to calculate the unknown variable. It is also important to convert all units to the appropriate SI units before solving the problem.

What is the significance of gas mixture problems in chemistry?

Gas mixture problems are significant in chemistry because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of gases in different conditions. This is important in many chemical reactions and processes, as gases are often involved in these reactions. Solving gas mixture problems can also help us determine the properties and composition of gas mixtures, which is crucial in various industrial applications.

What are some common challenges when solving gas mixture problems?

Some common challenges when solving gas mixture problems include converting units to the appropriate SI units, accounting for changes in temperature and pressure, and making assumptions about the behavior of gases. It is also important to accurately measure the initial and final volumes, pressures, and temperatures, as small errors can greatly affect the accuracy of the solution.