Two lines of charge, net electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two parallel lines of charge with known linear charge densities and separation distance. The goal is to determine at what point along the x-axis the net electric field from the two lines is zero. The conversation includes an attempt at solving the problem using the equation for an infinite line of charge, as well as a given solution. The expert suggests solving symbolically and clarifies the distances to each line charge. The final answer is determined to be 8cm. The expert also addresses etiquette regarding posting multiple questions in one day.
jendead

Homework Statement

Short sections of two very long parallel lines of charge are shown, fixed in place, separated by L = 8.0cm. The uniform linear charge densities are [tex]+6.0\mu[/tex]C/m for line 1 and [tex]-2.0\mu[/tex]C/m for line 2. Where along the x-axis shown is the net electric field from the two lines zero?

The known data is:
[tex]\lambda_{1} = 6 \times 10^{-6} C[/tex]
[tex]\lambda_{2} = -2 \times 10^{-6} C[/tex]
[tex]L = 0.08m[/tex]

http://www.clan-dm.net/members/jen/netfield.jpg
(sorry, scanner doesn't like big books)

Homework Equations

line of infinite charge: [tex]\frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon_{0}r}[/tex]
permittivity constant: [tex]\epsilon_{0} = 8.85*10^{-12}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't get very far with this one. From what I can tell, I need to sum the electric fields, and figure out when it's zero.

I started out like this:
0 = E1 + E2
E1 = -E2

Obviously, at this point substituting E for the line of infinite charge equation proved fruitless. I don't know if I'm overcomplicating, undercomplicating, or just plain clueless. Any help is appreciated. :)

Also, the given answer makes no sense to me:
[tex]x = \frac{\lambda_{1} - \lambda_{2}}{\lambda_{1} + \lambda_{2}}\left( \frac{L}{2} \right)[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Call the coordinate of the zero-field point x. How would you write the distance to each line charge (in terms of x and L) so that you could use the infinite line charge equation?

I'm assuming that the 0 point is somewhere in the positive x region (because the first line has a larger charge - please let me know if my thinking is off).

With that assumption, line 1 would be L + x away from the point, and line 2 would be L/2 + x away?

Is this on the right track?

[tex]\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}(L + x)} = -\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}(L/2 + x)}[/tex]

Good! Keep going.

Edit: Oops, looks like your equation is a bit off. See comment in next post.

Last edited:
Ok, I algebra'd it out and got x = -3L/4.. which should give me x = -6cm. I guess that means my original assumption of 0 occurring in the positive side was incorrect?

The given answer is very confusing - why would it be in that form? I never actually came across it while finding x.

jendead said:
Ok, I algebra'd it out and got x = -3L/4.. which should give me x = -6cm. I guess that means my original assumption of 0 occurring in the positive side was incorrect?
I think there's an error in your distances in your equation. Assuming you measure x from the origin, then the distance to line 1 will be x + L/2 and the distance to line 2 will be x - L/2.
The given answer is very confusing - why would it be in that form? I never actually came across it while finding x.
To get that answer, solve the problem symbolically. Don't plug in numbers for L, [itex]\lambda_1[/itex], and [itex]\lambda_2[/itex].

Phew, got it. I had measured my distances in a weird way, but I fixed it now. :)

The answer should have been 8cm, correct?

Thanks so much! I have one more question about the etiquette on here. Is it bad form to post more than one question in a day? There's one other problem I'm banging my head against, but will hopefully figure out on my own.. I'm asking just in case. :)

Last edited:
jendead said:
The answer should have been 8cm, correct?
Yes. Good work.
Is it bad form to post more than one question in a day?
Of course not! Post as many as you want. As long as you're showing your work, why not? (Better to post them in separate threads, of course.)

1. What is the net electric field created by two lines of charge?

The net electric field is the vector sum of the individual electric fields created by the two lines of charge. It can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, taking into account the magnitude and direction of each line of charge.

2. How do the orientations of the two lines of charge affect the net electric field?

The orientations of the two lines of charge can either add or cancel out their individual electric fields. If the lines are parallel and in the same direction, the net electric field will be stronger. If they are parallel and in opposite directions, the net electric field will be weaker. If the lines are perpendicular, the net electric field will be zero.

3. How does the distance between the two lines of charge affect the net electric field?

The distance between the two lines of charge affects the strength of the electric field. As the distance increases, the electric field decreases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning it decreases by the square of the distance.

4. What is the direction of the net electric field between two lines of charge?

The direction of the net electric field depends on the orientations of the two lines of charge. If the lines are parallel and in the same direction, the net electric field will be in the same direction as the two lines. If they are parallel and in opposite directions, the net electric field will be in the direction of the stronger line of charge. If the lines are perpendicular, the net electric field will be zero.

5. How can the net electric field between two lines of charge be visualized?

The net electric field can be visualized by drawing electric field lines between the two lines of charge. The electric field lines will be closer together where the net electric field is stronger, and farther apart where it is weaker. The direction of the electric field lines will also indicate the direction of the net electric field.