Force propagation and length contraction

In summary: I don't remember what it is, I'll look it up.In summary, the relative velocities and distances during the experiment are as follows: At the beginning of the experiment, A and B are traveling at the same speed. After the device at A starts accelerating A, B starts accelerating as well. After the device at B sends a light signal to A, B starts decelerating as well. Eventually, the device at A stops accelerating and sends a light signal to B.
birulami
Consider some material object, more or less rigid, with two ends, A and B, like

A---B

It is at rest at a point in time t_0 in my reference frame. Now I kick it a bit, i.e. I apply some force for a limited amount of time at A in the direction of B. After the kick, the whole object has a speed v in the direction A->B. I reckon that the speed of B, v_B, is never larger than that of A, v_A, before, during and after the whole experiment.

Now I consider how, during application of the force, the force propagates through the object from A to B. The speed of propagation is limited by the speed of light c.

As a consequence it seems that during the force application, there is a small time interval where v_B<v_A. Integration of this delta-speed translates into a reduction of the distance between A and B at the end of the experiment.

If I did not make a mistake, the reduction factor is (1-v/c).

This is a stronger reduction even than the relativistic length contraction factor. How can I get the object longer again to match the relativistic contraction? To me it feels wrong to argue with material dynamics to fix an effect that directly results from a very basic principle.

Ideas?

Harald.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the object return to inertial motion at the end of the experiment? If so, you need to turn off the acceleration. If not, then length contraction between inertial frames is not a complete description.

Last edited:
If you actually kick an object, it will tend to vibrate. So you expect it to contract by more than the steady state amount, then expand, then contract. In real objects, the vibrations will die down, but that requires that one add some dissipative terms to the motion. Your original model is basically appealing to the wave equation, I think, though you didn't describe it in exactly those terms. The wave equation model doesn't include any dissipative terms. So with a model of motion based on the wave equation, the object will vibrate forever.

Also note that the speed of sound in practical materials will be << c (a wave equation is an OK approximation, but the wave velocity is much much lower than c in actual materials).

Last edited:
Letting the force travel even slower than c makes things worse, i.e the contraction will be even greater (c smaller => v/c greater => 1-v/c smaller). In particular the limiting case of v->c looks frightening.

Hmm, I'll try to put it into my own words. Feel free to comment further.

In the original post I said that it follows from the setup that
  1. [itex]v_B<v_A[/itex] for a limited amount of time, and
  2. [itex]v_B\le v_A[/itex] throughout the experiment,
where (1) is a consequence of the limited propagation speed of the force. Consequently we cannot get rid of (1), so (2) must be false, I guess. Consequently there is a time interval where [itex]v_B>v_A[/itex]. The additional force required to get B faster than A will likely have to be attributed to material dynamics, i.e. the "spring-like" forces within the material. So I guess this is where your vibration comes in. Only the limiting case where [itex]v_A=c[/itex] after the experiment is puzzling, since [itex]v_B>v_A[/itex] is then certainly out of question.

Thanks,
Harald.

A similar experiment can be imagined that does not deal with forces through the material connecting A and B.

A and B are traveling at the same velocity but are separated by a distance. Each has a device that can accelerate and also send or receive light signals. At some time the device at A begins applying an acceleration to A and at the same moment sends a light signal to B. The device at B receives the light signal and immediately begins applying the same acceleration to B. After a while, the device at A stops the acceleration at A and sends a light signal to B. When the device at B receives the signal it stops the acceleration of B. What are the relative velocities and distances during the experiment?

Well, I've been busy with other things (esp with the holidays). What I think that should happen is that the Newtonian elastic bar with a force applied to the left end should act just like a transmission line forced with a current.

In the transmission line, V = Z0 I, in the Newtonian elastic bar, it's (dx/dt)(x) = Z0 *F, where dx/dt(x) is the velocity at some point x, and F is the applied force (which acts like the current source).

The equations for the electrical case where I represents current and V represents voltage are:

I = C dV/dt + L [itex]\partial I / \partial x[/itex]

We can see that with I being replaced by force, and V by velocity, that C corresponds to a mass, and that L is related to the spring constant.

So I expect the left end of the Newtonian bar with a force acting on it to move at some constant velocity that's proportional to the force, and for this motion to propagate at the speed of sound in the material, just as the voltage propagates as a wave down the transmission line.

It should be possible to confirm this with a standard text - I'm afraid my treatment is very off the cuff here.

1. What is force propagation?

Force propagation refers to the transmission of a force through a medium, causing an object to accelerate in the direction of the force. This can be explained by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

2. How does force propagate in different mediums?

The propagation of force can differ in different mediums depending on their properties. In a solid medium, force is transmitted through the vibrations of molecules. In a liquid, force is propagated through the movement of molecules. In a gas, force is transmitted through the collisions of molecules.

3. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon that occurs when an object is moving at high speeds. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its length in the direction of motion appears to decrease from the perspective of an observer who is stationary.

4. How does length contraction affect the measurement of an object?

Length contraction can affect the measurement of an object by making it appear shorter when it is moving at high speeds. This is due to the fact that the distance between two points on the object will appear shorter from the perspective of an observer who is moving at a different velocity.

5. Can force propagation and length contraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, both force propagation and length contraction can be observed in everyday life, although they may not be noticeable in most situations. For example, force propagation can be seen when a ball rolls down a hill or when a person pushes a shopping cart. Length contraction can be observed in high-speed transportation, such as airplanes or rockets, where the length of the vehicle appears to decrease as it reaches high speeds.