Carl Sagan's Cosmos Returns Jan 8

• Thread starter Moridin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmos
In summary: They used to air the PBS version here in Canada.In summary, the Cosmos series will be airing in its entirety beginning January 8th on the Discovery Science Channel in the US. website above has clips and some fun interactive stuff.
Moridin
http://science.discovery.com/convergence/cosmos/cosmos.html

Carl Sagan's Cosmos will be airing in its entirety beginning January 8th on the Discovery Science Channel in the US! Website above has clips and some fun interactive stuff.

I should really get the DVD box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just in time for my birthday! Now there's a nice present! I loved COSMOS and its background music of Brahms.

I had the entire series on VHS, when it first came out.

I saw them for the first time from rented video tapes (VHS) at my school library about 2.5 years ago. Really well made and classy.

Weird, but I've seen it running a few times lately and have watched a few episodes; I think on the TDC.

It's been on for several months now.

Not at a certain time everyday.

It is still an awe inspiring series. It aired (1980) while I was in grad school and was only able to catch bits and pieces.. I bought the companion book which is a good read, lots of impressive photos! Years later I wanted to watch in its entirety, but couldn't find them anywhere. Somehow I tracked them down and mail ordered the whole set from California.. For those who remember the tapes, a little trivia; the beginning of each sequence begins with Kermit the Frog doing some silly stuff and a plug to join The Planetary Society a public advocacy group for space exploration, which Carl cofounded. (I joined :) There are 13 parts so there is plenty to pique your curiosity.

For those who have already watched it, I wonder what were some of your favorite sequences?

I especially enjoyed where he voyages back in time to visit The Great Library at Alexandria and draws analogies of how information is stored (human brain, library, our genome). The sequence depicting how complex life evolved on our planet, I've used as a primer for people not familiar with the concept. With good visuals, it translates well. The part describing the evolution of our universe & how we are all made from "star stuff" is quite fascinating :)

Absolutely loved this series. I saw it in the US when it first aired on PBS (I was about 11 at the time). As young as I was I made a point to not have anything to do each week at that time so I could watch that show. I didn't want to miss one episode.

Yeah, that show is pretty good. It's sad Carl Sagan died, back in 1996 I think, of some rare cancer. Hey, at least he had his weed to ease the pain, he was such a stoner. (it's been proven)

I had a standing appointment to go to my elderly neighbours' house to watch it because we didn't get cable. They were as fascinated by it as I was.
I wonder if Discovery Canada is going to run it.

1. What is "Carl Sagan's Cosmos Returns Jan 8"?

Carl Sagan's Cosmos Returns Jan 8 is a revival of the original documentary series, Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, which was hosted by renowned scientist and educator, Carl Sagan. The new series, titled Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, is set to premiere on January 8th, 2022, and will continue to explore the wonders of the universe and our place within it.

2. Who is Carl Sagan?

Carl Sagan was an American astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, and author. He was known for his contributions to the fields of planetary science, exobiology, and the popularization of science through his books and television documentaries, including the original Cosmos series. Sagan was a highly influential figure in the scientific community and is still remembered and celebrated for his contributions today.

3. When did the original Cosmos series air?

The original Cosmos series, Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, first aired in 1980. It was written and presented by Carl Sagan and explored various scientific topics, including the origins of life, the formation of galaxies, and the search for extraterrestrial life. The series was a huge success and has since been translated into over 60 languages.

4. Who is hosting the new series, Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey?

The new series, Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, is hosted by renowned astrophysicist and science communicator, Neil deGrasse Tyson. Tyson is the director of the Hayden Planetarium in New York City and has been a frequent guest on various science television shows, including The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

5. What can viewers expect from the new series, Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey?

Viewers can expect a continuation of the original series, with a modern and updated approach. The new series will use state-of-the-art visual effects to explore a wide range of scientific topics, including the latest discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe. It will also touch on important issues such as climate change and the impact of human activity on our planet. Overall, viewers can expect to be educated and inspired by the wonders of the cosmos.