What is the area under the astroid curve?

• Thread starter motornoob101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's attempt to find the area under an astroid curve using parametric equations. They encounter difficulties due to their limited knowledge on the topic and receive guidance from others. The summary also includes the student's incorrect integration steps and the solution to their mistake.
motornoob101
[solved]Area under astroid

Homework Statement

So this is another one of those parametric questions that I don't know what I did wrong.

Determine the area of the region enclosed by the astroid

[tex]x(t) = 8cos^{3}t[/tex]
[tex]y(t) = 8sin^{3}t[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] Area = \int y dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Before I start I must admit that I don't have a good knowledge of this topic of area under parametric curves. My calc textbook had half a page on it and just one example so I am rather clueless.

[tex] Area = 2\int^{8}_{0}ydx [/tex] (Instead of doing -8 to 8, I did 0 to 8 since it is symmetric)

Ok, so y is already given so I just need to find dx.

[tex]dx = -24cos^{2}tsint dt[/tex]

[tex] Area = 2\int^{8}_{0}8sin^{3}t( -24cos^{2}tsint dt)[/tex]
[tex] Area = 2\int^{8}_{0}-192sin^{4}tcos^{2}tdt[/tex]
[tex] Area = -384\int^{8}_{0}sin^{4}tcos^{2}tdt[/tex]
[tex] Area = -384\int^{8}_{0}(sin^{2}t)^{2}cos^{2}tdt[/tex]
[tex] Area = -384\int^{8}_{0}( \frac{1-cos(2t)}{2})^{2}(\frac{1+cos(2t)}{2})dt[/tex]

So anyhow.. there were a lot of integration steps and I arrived at

[tex]Area = -24\left[\frac{-1}{3}sin^{3}(2t)+t-\frac{1}{2}sin4t\right]^{8}_{0} [/tex]

When I evaluate that, it gave me -185.5737904 when the answer is suppose to be 75.3982236

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your limits are x=8 and x=0 which is true when you integrate with respect to x. You are integrating with respect to t.

When you make the change in the limits of integration to go with your substituted variable, you'll also find that the order of integration reverses. Reversing the order again to get the integration running in the right direction will take care of the negative sign you're getting for your area.

Hey guys thanks for the help. I figured it a bit earlier that I was doing it entirely wrong heh. Thanks though.

1. What is the formula for calculating the area under an astroid curve?

The formula for calculating the area under an astroid curve is A = (3/8)πa2, where 'a' is the radius of the astroid.

2. How is the area under an astroid related to other geometric shapes?

The area under an astroid is related to other geometric shapes, such as a circle and ellipse, as it is a special case of both. The astroid can also be seen as a combination of four circular arcs.

3. What real-world applications use the concept of the area under an astroid?

The concept of the area under an astroid is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to calculate the moment of inertia of an object with an astroid cross-section, as well as in the design of gears and pulleys.

4. How can the area under an astroid be visualized?

The area under an astroid can be visualized by plotting the astroid curve on a graph and shading the area beneath it. This can be done using mathematical software or by hand using a ruler and compass.

5. Are there any special properties of the area under an astroid?

Yes, the area under an astroid has some unique properties, such as being self-intersecting and having a finite perimeter. It also has a constant radius of curvature at any point along the curve.