Singularity of function of complex variable

In summary: The first term is the same as the integrand in the first equation, and we have already shown that it is well-defined. The second term can be rewritten as:-\frac{\omega x_i(\omega)}{\omega'^2-\omega^2}=-\frac{\omega x_i(\omega)}{\omega (\omega'-\omega)}=-\frac{x_i(\omega)}{\omega'-\omega}Thus, the second integral is actually the same as the first integral, but with a different variable of integration (w instead of w'). Therefore, it is also well-defined and equal to the first integral
TonyLowe

Homework Statement

I have to proof that this equation:
[tex]x_r(\omega)=\frac{1}{\pi}*PV \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x_i(\omega')}{(\omega'-\omega)}d\omega'[/tex]
(where P denotes Principal Value Integration of Cauchy, r and i denotes rispectively real and imaginary part of x function)
is equivalent to this equation:
[tex]x_r(\omega)=\frac{2}{\pi}* \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')-\omega x_i(\omega)}{\omega'^2-\omega^2}d\omega'[/tex].

This equation (the first) is the first of the Kramers-Kronig relations for complex function.

Homework Equations

Using symmetry property of x(w), I can proof that the first equation is equivalent to:
[tex]x_r(\omega)=\frac{2}{\pi}*PV \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')}{(\omega'^2-\omega^2)}d\omega'[/tex]

I also show, using PV definition, that:
[tex]PV \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(\omega'^2-\omega^2)}d\omega'=0[/tex]

The definition of PV that I have used in my calculus is the follow:
[tex]PV \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(\omega')d\omega'=\lim_{r \to 0} (\int_{-\infty}^{\omega-r} f(\omega')d\omega'+\int_{\omega+r}^{\infty} f(\omega')d\omega')[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting from:
[tex]x_r(\omega)=\frac{2}{\pi}*PV \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')}{(\omega'^2-\omega^2)}d\omega'[/tex]
I have added and removed from the numerator the quantity

[tex]\omega x_i(\omega)[/tex]

so:
[tex]x_r(\omega)=\frac{2}{\pi}*PV \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')-\omega x_i(\omega)}{(\omega'^2-\omega^2)}d\omega'+\frac{2}{\pi}*PV \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega x_i(\omega)}{(\omega'^2-\omega^2)}d\omega'[/tex]
The second integral is zero; the first integral is the solution of the problem a part of the PV operators. I think that if I justify that the integrands have no singularity at w'=w, the problem is solve (in this case, in fact, I can remove PV operators from first integral).
But I don't understand why that integrands is not singular for w'=w: infact in w there is a pole of the function x(w) (from the complete proof of Kramers-Kronig relations I have understand that w is a pole, with no imaginary part, of x(w)), and the denominator goes to zero when w'=w, as the numerator.
Someone can help me?
Thank very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this interesting problem to our attention. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with this proof. First of all, I would like to commend you for your attempt at the solution and your understanding of the Kramers-Kronig relations. Your approach is on the right track, and I will provide some additional insights to help you complete the proof.

To start off, let's consider the first equation:
x_r(\omega)=\frac{1}{\pi}*PV \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x_i(\omega')}{(\omega'-\omega)}d\omega'
This is the first Kramers-Kronig relation for a complex function x(w). As you correctly pointed out, we can use the symmetry property of x(w) to show that this equation is equivalent to:
x_r(\omega)=\frac{2}{\pi}*PV \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')}{(\omega'^2-\omega^2)}d\omega'
Now, let's take a closer look at the integrand in this equation:
\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')}{(\omega'^2-\omega^2)}
We can rewrite this as:
\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')}{(\omega'-\omega)(\omega'+\omega)}
Now, we can see that the integrand has a pole at w'=w, as you mentioned. However, this pole is a simple pole, meaning that the denominator goes to zero linearly as w' approaches w. This means that the integral is still well-defined and the PV operator is not necessary. In other words, the integrand is not singular at w'=w, it just has a simple pole.

Now, let's move on to the second equation:
x_r(\omega)=\frac{2}{\pi}* \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')-\omega x_i(\omega)}{\omega'^2-\omega^2}d\omega'
As you correctly pointed out, the second integral is zero. This is because the integrand can be rewritten as:
\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')-\omega x_i(\omega)}{\omega'^2-\omega^2}=\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')}{\

1. What is the definition of "singularity of function of complex variable"?

A singularity of a complex variable function is a point at which the function is not defined or is not continuous. In other words, it is a point where the function has a value that is undefined or infinite.

2. How can we identify a singularity in a complex variable function?

A singularity can be identified by examining the behavior of the function as it approaches a specific point. If the function becomes undefined, infinite, or discontinuous at that point, it is a singularity.

3. What are the different types of singularities that can occur in a complex variable function?

There are three types of singularities: removable, essential, and branch point. A removable singularity is a point where the function can be redefined to make it continuous. An essential singularity is a point where the function cannot be redefined to be continuous. A branch point is a point where the function has multiple possible values.

4. How does the concept of "singularity of function of complex variable" relate to complex analysis?

The study of singularities in complex variable functions is a fundamental part of complex analysis. It helps us understand the behavior of complex functions and their limits, and it is crucial in the development of various techniques and theorems in complex analysis.

5. Can singularities in complex variable functions be useful in practical applications?

Yes, singularities in complex variable functions have various practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, and computer science. For example, they can be used to model the behavior of physical systems, design electrical circuits, and develop algorithms for data processing and image recognition.