Derivatives and Continuity

In summary: So the only problem is writing h*->0, you might want to say h*->0+ or h*->0- to make it clear you're taking h*>0 or h*<0. So you're good!In summary, to prove that if a continuous function f(x) has a derivative f'(x) at each point x in the neighborhood of x=\xi and if f'(x) approaches a limit L as x \rightarrow \xi, then f'(\xi) exists and is equal to L, we can use the Mean Value Theorem to show that the limit of the quotient [f(xi + h) - f(xi)]/[h*] as h* approaches 0 through positive values exists
JG89

Homework Statement

If the continuous function f(x) has a derivative f'(x) at each point x in the neighborhood of [tex]x=\xi[/tex], and if [tex] f'(x)[/tex] approaches a limit L as [tex] x \rightarrow \xi[/tex], then show [tex]f'(\xi)[/tex] exists and is equal to L.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the derivative exists at each point x in the neighborhood of [tex]x = \xi[/tex] and f'(x) tends to a limit L as [tex]x \rightarrow \xi[/tex], we have [tex] |f'(x) - L| < \epsilon [/tex] whenever [tex]|x-\xi| < \delta[/tex]. Since we can take x arbitrarily close to [tex]\xi[/tex], we can write [tex] x = \xi + h[/tex] for any real h. In this case, we will take h to be positive. We then have [tex] |f'(\xi + h) - L| < \epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex] |h| < \delta [/tex].

Now, choose a positive quantity h* such that [tex] 0 < h < h* < \delta [/tex]. The following inequality is then true: [tex] \xi < \xi + h < \xi + h* [/tex]. We have formed an open neighborhood about the point [tex] x = \xi + h [/tex]. Then by the Mean Value Theorem, we have [tex]f'(\xi + h) = \frac{f(\xi + h) - f(\xi)}{h*}[/tex]. So we then have [tex] |\frac{f(\xi + h) - f(\xi)}{h*} - L| < \epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex] |h*| < \delta[/tex]. This inequality says that the limit of the quotient [tex] \frac{f(\xi + h) - f(\xi)}{h*}[/tex] as h* approaches 0 through positive values exists, and is equal to L. Using a similar argument it is easy to see that for h* tending to 0 through negative values, the limit is again L. Thus the derivative at [tex]f'(\xi)[/tex] exists and is equal to L.Is this proof correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's definitely some problems though I think you've got the right idea. The MVT doesn't say
[tex]
f'(\xi + h) = \frac{f(\xi + h) - f(\xi)}{h*}
[/tex]
It says
[tex]
f'(\xi + h) = \frac{f(\xi + h*) - f(\xi)}{h*}
[/tex]
And I think you should be able to write this much more simply, e.g. the limit h->0 of (f(xi+h)-f(xi))/h is f'(xi). The MVT says there is a point y_h in [xi,xi+h] such that f'(y_h) is the same as the difference quotient. As h->0, y_h->xi so f'(y_h)->L. And there's really no need to split it into sides, you don't have anyone sided limits or derivatives.

Oops, I mean't to write [tex] f(\xi + h) = \frac{f(\xi+h*) - f(\xi)}{h*}[/tex] for h* > h. I chose h* > h because if I chose h* < h, then I have xi < xi + h* < xi + h, and I cannot write out the derivative of xi + h as the difference quotient using xi and xi + h* (I believe the MVT says that xi + h must be contained in the open interval (xi, xi+h*).) But choosing h* so that h < h* < delta, h* goes to 0 and the quotient [f(xi + h) - f(xi)]/[h*] will go to L since the quotient - L is less than epsilon.I see what you're saying though. I have made the problem more complicated than I had to. But with my correction above, is my proof correct?

Last edited:
JG89 said:
Oops, I mean't to write [tex] f(\xi + h) = \frac{f(\xi+h*) - f(\xi)}{h*}[/tex] for h* > h. I chose h* > h because if I chose h* < h, then I have xi < xi + h* < xi + h, and I cannot write out the derivative of xi + h as the difference quotient using xi and xi + h* (I believe the MVT says that xi + h must be contained in the open interval (xi, xi+h*).) But choosing h* so that h < h* < delta, h* goes to 0 and the quotient [f(xi + h) - f(xi)][h*] will go to L since the quotient - L is less than epsilon.

I see what you're saying though. I have made the problem more complicated than I had to. But with my correction above, is my proof correct?

I believe (f(x+h)-f(x))/h approaches f'(x). And I believe there is an 0<h*<h such that f'(x+h*)=(f(x+h)-f(x))/h. But I don't think (f(x+h)-f(x))/h* has to approach anything.

Dick said:
I believe (f(x+h)-f(x))/h approaches f'(x). And I believe there is an 0<h*<h such that f'(x+h*)=(f(x+h)-f(x))/h. But I don't think (f(x+h)-f(x))/h* has to approach anything.

But if you have 0 < h < h* then you have [tex]f'(\xi + h) = \frac{f(\xi + h*) - f(\xi)}{h*} [/tex] which approaches L as h* approaches 0. Since L is a definite value, then the limit exists. Isn't this the definition of a derivative or am I missing something here...

Last edited:
JG89 said:
But if you have 0 < h < h* then you have [tex]f'(\xi + h) = \frac{f(\xi + h*) - f(\xi)}{h*} [/tex] which approaches L as h* approaches 0. Since L is a definite value, then the limit exists. Isn't this the definition of a derivative or am I missing something here...

That's fine. As h*->0 the left side approaches L because the limit of the derivative exists and since h*>h>0 that means h->0 which means the right side approaches f'(xi) since f is differentiable at xi. That's the proof all right. I was just worried because you were writing expressions like (f(xi+h)-f(xi))/h*, mixing h and h* in the difference quotient.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It measures how much a function is changing at a particular point by calculating the slope of the tangent line at that point.

2. How is a derivative calculated?

The derivative of a function can be calculated using the limit definition of a derivative, which involves taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0. Alternatively, there are various rules and formulas that can be used to calculate derivatives of different types of functions.

3. What is the relationship between derivatives and continuity?

Continuity refers to the property of a function where there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph. A function is considered continuous if its limit exists at every point. A derivative also requires the existence of a limit, so a function must be continuous in order for its derivative to exist.

4. How are derivatives and continuity used in real-life applications?

Derivatives and continuity have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. For example, derivatives can be used to calculate the velocity of an object in motion or the rate of change of a population over time. Continuity is important in designing structures and systems that need to function smoothly and without sudden changes.

5. What is the difference between a derivative and a differential?

A derivative is the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point, while a differential is the change in the value of a function over a small interval. In other words, a derivative is a single value while a differential is a range of values. Derivatives are also used to calculate differentials, and they are closely related concepts in calculus.