Law of conservation of linear momentum and energy

In summary: KE before collision= 1/2*2mv^2+0=mv^2KE after collision=1/2*2m(1/3v)^2+1/2*mv^2=1/9mv^2+mv^2=10/9mv^2KE before collision=KE after collisionPE before collision= mgh=2mghPE after collision=0KE+PE before collision=mv^2+2mghKE+PE after collision=10/9mv^2KE+PE before collision=KE+PE after collisionthen mechanical energy is conserved at any point.In summary, a body of 2M(K
Radwa Kamal

Homework Statement

A body of 2M(KG) mass at velocity V collided with a body of mass M(KG) at rest.
The first body after collision has a velocity ao 1/3V , and the second moves at 4/3V.
Verify both laws of conservation of linear momentum and energy with explanation.

Homework Equations

m1v1f + m2v2f= m1v1i+ m2v2i
KE = (1/2)mv^2
PE=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

KE = (1/2)mv^2
KE before collision = 1/2 *2MV^2+ 1/2* M(0)=MV^2
KE after collision =1/2*2M(1/3V)^2+1/2*m(4/3V)^2=1/9MV62+8/9MV^2=MV^2
KE before collision=KE after collision
there is no height then there is no potential energy
(KE+PE) before collision + (KE+PE) after collision
then mechanical energy is constant at any point

Physics news on Phys.org
Radwa Kamal said:

Homework Statement

A body of 2M(KG) mass at velocity V collided with a body of mass M(KG) at rest.
The first body after collision has a velocity ao 1/3V , and the second moves at 4/3V.
Verify both laws of conservation of linear momentum and energy with explanation.

Homework Equations

KE = (1/2)mv^2
PE=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

KE = (1/2)mv^2
KE before collision = 1/2 *2MV^2+ 1/2* M(0)=MV^2
KE after collision =1/2*2M(1/3V)^2+1/2*m(4/3V)^2=1/9MV62+8/9MV^2=MV^2
KE before collision=KE after collision
there is no height then there is no potential energy
(KE+PE) before collision + (KE+PE) after collision
then mechanical energy is constant at any point

Welcome to PF.

I will presume that you figured the momentum was conserved. But that said it should be enough to suggest that since the kinetic energy before equals the kinetic after that no energy was lost to other sources, like potential, or friction, or maybe even sound.

I found it :)
momentum before collision=2mv+zero=2mv
momentum after collision=2m(1/3v)+m(4/3v)=2/3mv+4/3mv=6/3mv=2mv
then Momentum before collision =Momentum after collision

1. What is the "Law of Conservation of Linear Momentum and Energy"?

The Law of Conservation of Linear Momentum and Energy states that the total momentum and energy of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on the system.

2. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

3. How is the conservation of linear momentum and energy applied in real-life situations?

The law of conservation of linear momentum and energy is applied in various real-life situations, such as collisions between objects, rocket propulsion, and the movement of planets in our solar system.

4. Is the law of conservation of linear momentum and energy always true?

Yes, the law of conservation of linear momentum and energy is always true in a closed system. In an open system, where external forces can act on the system, the total momentum and energy may change, but the sum of the internal and external forces must still be equal to zero.

5. What happens if the law of conservation of linear momentum and energy is violated?

If the law of conservation of linear momentum and energy is violated, it would imply that there is an unaccounted force acting on the system, or that energy is being added or removed from the system. This would go against the fundamental principles of physics and would require further investigation.