Special Relativity Question

In summary, according to special relativity, time is relative and can be affected by motion. If an object could travel at arbitrary speed, it would be able to manipulate time and potentially travel to the past. Recommended books for a mathematical introduction to special relativity include "Special Relativity: An Introduction with 200 Problems and Solutions" by Michael Tsamparlis and "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Wolfgang Rindler.
Ed Aboud

Homework Statement

Show that if motion could occur at arbitrary speed, then time travel would be possible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start of. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the light-cone and space-like vectors.

Also can anyone recommend a good book for a mathematical introduction to special relativity. I'm in my first year at college and my teacher is awful and I'm really starting to struggle with the subject.

Thanks for the help!
Ed

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Ed,

You are correct in thinking that the concept of motion at arbitrary speed is related to time travel. This is due to the fact that according to special relativity, time is relative and can be affected by motion. As an object approaches the speed of light, time dilation occurs, meaning that time slows down for the object in motion relative to an observer at rest.

If an object were able to travel at arbitrary speed, it would essentially be able to manipulate time. This is because as the object approaches the speed of light, time slows down to the point where it could potentially stop or even reverse. This would allow for the possibility of traveling to the past, which is a key aspect of time travel.

In terms of mathematical understanding, a good book to start with would be "Special Relativity: An Introduction with 200 Problems and Solutions" by Michael Tsamparlis. It provides a comprehensive introduction to special relativity with many practice problems to help solidify your understanding. Additionally, "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Wolfgang Rindler is another highly recommended book for beginners.

I hope this helps! Best of luck with your studies.

I would like to clarify that the statement "if motion could occur at arbitrary speed" is not accurate. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can travel. This is a fundamental principle of the theory and has been extensively tested and confirmed by experiments.

With that being said, if we were to consider a hypothetical scenario where objects could travel at any speed, including faster than the speed of light, then time travel would indeed be possible. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, time dilation occurs, meaning time slows down for that object relative to an observer. If an object were to travel faster than the speed of light, then time would theoretically reverse, allowing for travel into the past.

However, it is important to note that this is purely hypothetical and not supported by any scientific evidence or principles. The theory of relativity and other laws of physics do not allow for objects to travel faster than the speed of light.

As for a book recommendation, "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Wolfgang Rindler is a good starting point for understanding the mathematical concepts of special relativity. I would also recommend seeking out additional resources such as online lectures or tutorials to supplement your learning and understanding of the subject.

1. What is special relativity and who developed it?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It is based on two fundamental principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, or frames of reference that are not accelerating. General relativity, on the other hand, extends these laws to include non-inertial frames of reference, or frames of reference that are accelerating. It also explains the effects of gravity and is a more comprehensive theory of space and time.

3. How does special relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

According to special relativity, time is not absolute and can be perceived differently by observers in different frames of reference. This means that time can appear to move slower or faster depending on an observer's relative motion. This is known as time dilation and is a consequence of the constancy of the speed of light. It has been verified by numerous experiments, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

4. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity has real-world applications in fields such as GPS technology, particle physics, and nuclear energy. For example, GPS satellites use special relativity to adjust for the time dilation effects caused by their high speeds in orbit, ensuring accurate positioning information for users on Earth.

5. What are some common misconceptions about special relativity?

One common misconception is that special relativity only applies to objects moving at near-light speeds. In reality, the theory applies to all objects in motion, regardless of their speed. Another misconception is that special relativity contradicts Newton's laws of motion. However, special relativity is a more accurate and comprehensive theory that includes and expands upon Newton's laws in certain cases.