A wikipedia article on yourself

In summary, you can't make a Wikipedia article about yourself, and if someone does make one, it'll be taken down quickly.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
You know what I'm wondering? That's right, donuts.

But seriously, can you make a wikipedia article about yourself? I was bored and decided I'd start wikipedia'ing my professors. Of course, none of them are noteworthy :rofl: so i just started wikipedia'ing names I know to see if anyone coincadently has a name that is noteworthy. That got me to thinking, can you simply make an article on yourself? It'd be like your own mini-biography!

OH MY GOD WHAT A GREAT IDEA FOR A SITE! A site where everyone writes a wikipedia article for their own life... man, that would be awesome, no one would abuse the free editing or anything! It would be perfect. I'll make Ivan's biography first. Kidnapped by aliens as a child and apparently lives with many wild animals. Fought for Swiss army in WW3.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't. It's part of their rules and regulations, so that we don't have a Wikipedia article about the 6.5 billion people that dwell on this earth.

Nope. One, you can't make one about yourself. Two, if you aren't important enough, if someone else makes one about you, it'll be taken down.

Party poopers. Though, the only way for anyone to notice that you'd written an article about yourself would be if they were also searching for your name and found your article and reported it. And, wouldn't that mean you were important enough for someone to look you up?

Moonbear said:
Party poopers. Though, the only way for anyone to notice that you'd written an article about yourself would be if they were also searching for your name and found your article and reported it. And, wouldn't that mean you were important enough for someone to look you up?

:rofl:

So all PFers should go make an article on themselves, and report back how long it takes to get them taken down!

There's no rule against making a page for yourself provided that you meet the guidelines

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability_(academics)]Wikipedia guidelines[/url] said:
1. The person's research has made significant impact in their scholarly discipline, broadly construed, as demonstrated by independent reliable sources.
2. The person has received a highly prestigious academic award or honor at a national or international level.
3. The person is or has been an elected member of a highly selective and prestigious scholarly society or association (e.g. a National Academy of Sciences or the Royal Society) or a Fellow of a major scholarly society for which that is a highly selective honor (e.g. the IEEE)
4. The person's academic work has made a significant impact in the area of higher education, affecting a substantial number of academic institutions.
5. The person holds or has held a named/personal chair appointment or "Distinguished Professor" appointment at a major institution of higher education and research.
6. The person has held a major highest-level elected or appointed academic post at an academic institution or major academic society.
7. The person has made substantial impact outside academia in their academic capacity.
8. The person is or has been an editor-in-chief of a major well-established journal in their subject area.
9. The person is in a field of literature (e.g writer or poet) or the fine arts (e.g. musician, composer, artist), and meets the standards for notability in that art, such as WP:CREATIVE or WP:MUSIC.

But Wikiedpia is a not a directory of people

Moonbear said:

They can find a list of newly formed articles. I think it's so that there are no articles on "dsjfkljlewadnsfgewa" (random string of characters). There's some way that they protect against that...

Moonbear said:

The article wouldn't survive for very long. Roughly half of all new pages are deleted within a few days.

There are kids who spend 14 hours a day browsing through articles looking for ones to delete. Hundreds, maybe thousands of kids like this. It's like an RPG game to them. The social system at wikipedia actually promotes this sort of activity, it's kind of depressing.

I couldn't even make it into jimmysnyderpedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Snyder"

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
No.

Journals are not biographies.

80*360 journals can be more than a biography.

I think biographies fail the capture the tiny details of a every single day and perspective of life from each year/day of the life.

While other micro blogging sites provide future/present details.

I don't write journals or post everything I do currently but it's always interesting to find something I wrote 10-5-2 years ago.

1. Who are you and what is your field of expertise?

I am a scientist with a background in biochemistry and genetics. My areas of expertise include molecular biology, protein engineering, and gene editing technologies.

2. What inspired you to become a scientist?

I have always been fascinated by the natural world and the complexities of life. As a child, I loved conducting experiments and asking questions about how things work. This curiosity eventually led me to pursue a career in science.

3. What are some notable achievements or contributions you have made in your field?

Throughout my career, I have published numerous research papers in top scientific journals and have been granted several patents for my work in developing new techniques for gene editing. I have also been invited to speak at conferences and universities around the world to share my findings and expertise.

4. What is one piece of advice you would give to aspiring scientists?

My advice would be to never stop asking questions and to always be open to learning new things. Science is constantly evolving, and it's important to stay curious and adaptable in order to make meaningful contributions to your field.

5. What do you hope to accomplish in the future as a scientist?

In the future, I hope to continue pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge and making advancements in my field. I also hope to mentor and inspire the next generation of scientists to pursue their passions and make a positive impact on the world through their work.