Strange water boiling phenomenon

In summary, the conversation discusses two observed phenomena - one involving a cup of water in a microwave and the other involving a saucepan of water on a gas cooker - where the boiling peak occurs after the heat source is stopped. The reason for this phenomenon is not fully understood, but it may be related to superheating and condensation of vapor. Further research is needed to fully understand this phenomenon.
Neoφ
Since I'm around that old question about an observed phenomenon came to my mind:

- a cup is filled with water and heated up using a microwave oven. When I see it starting to boil, the oven is stopped abruptly. And while there is no more energy injected into the water, it boils even more for a second when the oven is stopped. So the boiling peak is (just) after the oven is stopped. Looks strange to me.

- one can remark a similar phenomenon using gas.

Something (probably) similar:

- a saucepan is filled with water and heated up using a gas cooker. Then the water boils linearly, and some steam escapes from the top of the saucepan. When the gas is stopped, much more steam comes out of the saucepan for 1-2 seconds. Again, it looks like there is suddenly more heat going to the water, while, on the opposite, the gas was cut and no more (or much less) heat goes to the water.

Does somebody know the reason? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I won't comment on the microwave.

However for the stovetop I think it is somewhat of an illusion. When the heat is on the water turns to vapor and stays that way because of the heat. When the heat stops the vapor above the saucepan begins to condense and is visible as tiny droplets.

Microwave ovens can superheat small regions of liquid, which will continue to dump energy into the rest of the water after the microwaves are cut off.

1. What is the "strange water boiling phenomenon"?

The "strange water boiling phenomenon" refers to a phenomenon where water boils at a temperature lower than its expected boiling point, or where it boils in a unique way that deviates from the norm.

2. What causes the strange water boiling phenomenon?

The strange water boiling phenomenon can be caused by a variety of factors, including altitude, impurities in the water, and the presence of nucleation sites (such as scratches or impurities on the container).

3. Is the strange water boiling phenomenon dangerous?

In most cases, the strange water boiling phenomenon is not dangerous. However, if the water is boiling at a significantly lower temperature, it may not be hot enough to kill bacteria and could potentially lead to food poisoning if used for cooking.

4. Can the strange water boiling phenomenon be replicated in a controlled setting?

Yes, scientists have been able to replicate the strange water boiling phenomenon in laboratory settings by controlling various factors such as pressure, altitude, and impurities in the water.

5. Is the strange water boiling phenomenon a common occurrence?

The strange water boiling phenomenon is not a common occurrence in everyday life, but it has been observed in various situations such as high altitudes, in microgravity environments, and in experiments with pure water and other liquids.