Reading Advice for a Non-physicist

• Thread starter JnWaco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the author discusses why Einstein's equation, E=mc^2 is important, and recommends reading "Gravity" by James Hartle as a basic primer on the subject. He also recommends watching lectures on youtube by MIT professors on various relativity-related topics.
JnWaco
Hi,

I'm a CPA here in Texas. I work in finance now and have for the past 5 years. Recently, I've developed the desire to understand at least parts of the relativity theories.

I'm not considering changing careers or going back to college, as I'm 33 and happy in my current line of work, but at times I feel pretty stupid for not sticking with math and science longer in college. I ended up with an undergraduate in Accounting and Masters in Taxation (something far more stimulating than physics - yeah right).

I had calculus I and II in college, physics I and II in high school and physics I in college. That said, my math and geometry are about as fresh as a rusted plough. I recently read the book Why Does E=mc^2 by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. I was able to follow their explanation, but they didn't include a lot of math in the book, and at one point even my algebra was so rusty that I couldn't perform a simplification of some fractional radical equations (a step they said was necessary to get form here to there, but didn't bother to publish in the book).

Anyways, I'm longwinded, but can anyone suggest some basic math and physics books for someone who does not want to make it a career?

Physics news on Phys.org
The most basic book, I think, for GR (General Relativity) is "Gravity" by James Hartle.

http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/academic/product/0,,0805386629,00%2Ben-USS_01DBC.html

I have been using this book for about 1/2 a year now. It is great.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Also a brief history of time, or universe in a nutshell are good for relitivity, quantum mechanics, black holes, etc

Entropee said:
Also a brief history of time, or universe in a nutshell are good for relitivity, quantum mechanics, black holes, etc

Thanks! I'm actually on about page 90 of A Brief History of Time. Started it last night and couldn't put it down. Between that and Why Does E=MC^2, they give a layman a pretty good picture of these concepts. I bought both of those books at the same time.

Now, being borderline OCD, I'd like to (try to) understand the math behind it. I was pretty good at math in high school and up through Cal II in college - but ended up in the business school in college after a first semester of too much beer and girl chasing and a pre-med advisor that basically told me to get out (based on having just a C in his chemistry II class). Not to mention a crappy academic advisor that advised me to skip Cal I and Chem I.

Understanding the math may be a bit too much to ask, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. I noticed MIT had some lectures on you tube - I figured I would start with their physics and linear algebra courses. One thing I've noticed on the linear algebra subject is that none of the references I've found actually explains WHY one would want to multiply matrices... argghh.

Any thoughts - I keep hearing about all of Einsteins equations in the two books I've read, but they don't get into them, for obvious reasons (they're over a layperson's head).

So, what math classes would I need? I've had up through Cal II in college - but that was 9 years ago. I know of linear algebra, diff eq...

Well If I wasnt 17 I would help you :P

I'm just starting community college part time while I am also doing part time at my high school so I am no expert on any of this, I just really like to study physics on my own time.

Also don't be afraid to read the "dummies" guides, because many of them explain complex equations through calc and what not.

Oh, I see, trying to make me feel old! just kidding

In any case, I'm not one to turn down advice even from someone much younger, so thanks a lot for your suggestions!

No problem, If you ever need any other book suggestions just ask, I got tons :P

1. What is the importance of reading for a non-physicist?

Reading is important for everyone, including non-physicists. It allows us to expand our knowledge, broaden our perspectives, and stay informed about the world around us.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics through reading?

To improve your understanding of physics through reading, it is important to start with the basics and gradually build upon your knowledge. Look for books and articles written for non-physicists, and don't be afraid to ask questions or seek clarification when you come across something you don't understand.

3. Are there any recommended books or resources for non-physicists to learn about physics?

Yes, there are many great books and resources available for non-physicists to learn about physics. Some popular options include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Physics for Poets" by Robert March, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

4. How can I stay motivated to continue reading about physics as a non-physicist?

Staying motivated to continue reading about physics can be challenging, but it helps to find topics that genuinely interest you and to set achievable goals for yourself. You can also join online communities or book clubs to discuss what you're reading and stay motivated with others.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand physics through reading?

While a basic understanding of math can certainly help in understanding physics concepts, it is not necessary to have a strong background in math to learn about physics through reading. Many resources for non-physicists are written in a way that does not require advanced math skills, and there are also visual aids and explanations that can make complex concepts more accessible.